10/02/07 Dumbest Thing Done At Work

The dumbest thing I ever saw was when our switchboard operator tried to answer the ringing phones and her headset was not plugged in to the switchboard. Hello? Hello? Hello!!!!! We all laughed our heads off....and she couldn't figure it out!

Wolfie

One time at work, I tripped and fell, right in front of a bunch of customers. I skinned my elbow and knee pretty badly, but kept right on working. Didn't even tell my boss till hours afterwards. My excuse? I am clumsy...doesn't everyone know that already.

Now, for the STUPIDEST thing I have seen at work, well that happened just recently. We lost two cashiers this week. Both for stealing. One gal stole some candy and lighters, the other some candy and a soft drink. Now, if that isn't the dumbest thing, then I don't know what is.

That was dumb, now they will have hard times finding other jobs. How dumb is that! Employee theft is so common though. I've heard stories where folks have stolen lap tops from employers as they are so easy to carry away!

Wolfie shaking her head in disgust!

For one of the gals, the more they talked to her, the more she confessed to taking. It started out with candy and lighters. By the time she was done talking, it was those two things plus a couple pairs of socks and a $40 sweatshirt. They told her if she paid for all the items, they wouldn't press charges, but either way, she is out of a job. She is only 21 years old. So sad. Heck, I would have loaned her the money for the stinkin' candy.

At one place I worked at, one of the ladies in charge of payroll cut herself 2 checks. We got paid weekly there and I know her weekly checks were about $800 (each since she made herself 2 ). It was not caught for 2 years ;) She lost her job but dang, I wonder why it took so long for the company to find out. That was a LOT of money!! They audited everything else every 6 months :p

I'm notorious for sending packages to the wrong people. I'm not sure how I keep repeating it, but I do. Particularly the boss's three brothers.. I always get them confused and end up sending the wrong things to the wrong brothers...

The upswing is that I'm so paranoid I practically stalk FedEx with their tracking software and call the instant something goes wrong. So ironically it's saved me on occasion too.

Dumbest thing? Let's see, I'd worked so many jobs & seen so many dumb things, but the first image that popped into my head was in the first offset printshop I worked in and one of the bindery operators had taped down the "stops" on the paper-cutter that must be pressed whilst operating the cutter blade by foot, to keep both hands out from under the blade. Later, when I worked for a bindery 20+ years later, I noticed my foreman was missing parts of most of his fingers (and toes, he confided one day) to the same practice (which wasn't tolerated in that last shop). Of course now the cutters also have a light beam and if any of the operator's body parts break that beam the "stops" engage, so bindery work is somewhat safer.

I recently cut my thumb at work, sorta across the top and down the side. The only thing I know I did wrong was not concentrating on what I was doing.

I saw a customer forget to hang up the gas spout dispenser thing; he drove away with it. Our gas hoses have a safety release. A good sturdy tug will disconnect them.

;) well as for the dumbest things I have done myself at work, wel I suppose it is to react to those really bad temper swings and get in the middle where fists fly and kicks are delivered, getting a split lip or two, some bruises and having to waer the arm in a support kind of thingy.... But hey, otherwise thant that I think most of the dumb things I do is sort of appreciated by the kids LOL and then for what I have seen, well those are the kinds of things one really shudder when thinking of so I will spare you those!

Hugs

My first year teaching, I taught 7th grade art in the junior high school and supervised the elementary art program. As Christmas was approaching, I taught the kids how to wrap a package neatly ... nice boxed corners, etc. In lieu of boxes, I had them wrap their English books. It worked just fine. Had some very tidy little packages at the end of the class.

However, I neglected to have them UNwrap the books. They went into English class, dumped them all on the teacher's desk, and gave her a jolly, "Merry Christmas!"

It took her most of the class period to get them back to the right students, as most, of course, had neglected to write their name in the book, so she had to look up each book number assignment on the master list to figure out who it belonged to.

Luckily, she was my roommate at the time, and we were best of friends. Even so, I caught grief for a good long time over that one! ;)

At one place I worked at, one of the ladies in charge of payroll cut herself 2 checks. We got paid weekly there and I know her weekly checks were about $800 (each since she made herself 2 ). It was not caught for 2 years ;) She lost her job but dang, I wonder why it took so long for the company to find out. That was a LOT of money!! They audited everything else every 6 months :yikes:

This reminds me of one of the city manager's that was employed in our region. He was very well respected and had been in the position for many years. But they ended up catching him using the signature stamp on checks that he would cash and buy sports memorabilia with--we're talking 100k's worth. He had his home and several out buildings full. He did this over a 2-3 year period, wasn't caught by annual audits, because the would blame the "new" computer system and they believed him. He had a very elaborate plan, the checks were never made out to him but to a department that he had control over.

heh heh heh...the dumbest thing I ever did at work??? heh heh heh....I used to hang a sweater on the back of my chair...one day, I rolled back the chair and the sweater got caught up in the wheels of the chair...Instead of standing up to untangle the sweater, I lifted my butt up off the chair and gave the sweater a tug...wouldn't you know it...instead of getting the sweater untangled, I managed to flip my chair, lose my balance and ended up on the floor, causing a hugh ruckus...the fellow who sat in front of me, peeks over the top of my cubicle to see what was going on and my supervisor came a runnin...talk about embarrassing....My supervisor asked if I was alright...and by this time, I was cracking up....I was laughing so hard that I had tears running down my face....(which caused great concern to my boss...I think he thought I was seriously hurt)...finally I was able to reply...I told him and my co-worker that I was so tired, I thought I might take a nap! I can still laugh at my own stupidity!! Lesson learned?? Stand up before attempting to untangle the sweater caught in the wheels of a chair....lol!!

hmmmmm I have done a lot of crazy things....

I guess the one thing that I can talk about lol

I farted and noone was in the same room as me at the time but afterwards my co worker came back

from lunch early and he stopped in his tracks and said what is that smell??

We laughed so hard I was crying...

I worked at Wal-Mart for a few years awhile back and one day I was getting chewed out by my boss and the assistant manager of the store and we were sitting in this little room in like diner chairs, with 4 stationary legs and had hooked my feet around the legs of the chair. After they were done yelling at me for 20 minutes, I went to stand up and my feet had gotten caught on the chair legs, and my knees were knocking anyway cause I just had gotten an earfull, and when I went to stand I didn't quite make it and landed right on my hands and knees just about in the lap of the assistant manager. Of course, considering he was/is male, and from the other side of the desk where my female manager was at, it looked well, you can imagine what it looked like cause he was still sitting down......well.....yeah, needless to say I was red for about the next 3 months and never have been able to look at him in the face since. Good thing he went to another store LOL :drool:

I"m a tax lady. One time I had a customer that applied for the refund anticipation loan. He was denied. I explained to him over the phone that it would automatically convert from a refund anticipation loan to a refund anticipation check and would take 8 to 15 days. So, he comes into the store and I explain to him in person how it would convert automatically and they wouldn't charge him the interest and it would take 8 to 15 days.

He looked at me and said "So, how long is that?" I answered him "You know, a week to two weeks." He called every single day to check. Nobody was happier about that kid getting his money than I was!

Yes, there are stupid questions.

Kathy

• 3 months later...

i was a manager at a pretzle time store in the mall. the store was loosing serious money due to employee theft so when i came in to the store as manager i got rid of the mall kids that worked there but there was one girl who's mother complained to the company so the district manager made me hire her back. i was not a happy chick!

2 weeks later i got a phone call from the police saying the store had been robbed and luckily an employee had gone back to get her pocketbook, noticed the break and called police. when i got there they showed me the kicked in door, the broken safe and guess what employee!

it took about 5 minutes for the cops to figure the whole thing out...as the idiot was closing the store up for the night she used her code to open and empty the safe, and after she was done she had her even dumber boyfriend smash up the safe to make it look "broken in to". then she locked the door, he kicked it in and they got out of there before security started walking around checking stuff. after she got home she realized that she left her pocketbook in the office right next to the safe! she knew that if the store really had been broken into the pocket book would've been taken too so they had to go back and "discover" the crime.

when the safe guy came to fix it, he confirmed that her personal code was the last one used and that it was not possible to break in the safe by smashing the dial like they had done. he was an expert and it took him over 2 hours to get in just to fix it!

in less than a day they had confessed and been arrested. they were charged with everything the cops could think of and the court gave them 2 years probation and fines of about $2000 each. all this for a rotten $400. she lost a job and they both got banned from the mall, but i did get to say "ha! i told you not to take her back!" to the district manager that made me take rehire her!

stupid stupid girl!

Not at my work, but my brother worked at a franchise automotive repair. One of the guys put a brand new Chevrolet Caprice on the lift, but did not have the lifting plates positioned right. Needless to say, the car was raised up into the air when it decided to fall from around 10 feet. It sat in their back lot for a while with a bend right across the middle of the whole car. I am not sure if the guy got fired or not, but the companies insurance had to replace the car. It was a total loss.

Dumbest thing I've ever done? Where do I begin, a few things are tied for tops! I think it would be the day I was rushing to clean up the customer washrooms. There was a hateful mess of damage and graffiti in there, and I accidently flushed the last set of keys down the toilet. I still get picked on for that! Everytime a set goes missing for whatever reason, I'm asked if I was sure I didn't flush them!

Mine is more embarrassingthen dumb I guess. I use to work in a deli and a good looking guy came in. We had virginia ham and honey ham on sale. He said he wanted a pound of the sale ham and I said Virginia Honey instead of Virginia or honey. I was reminded of that one for a long time. But he really was cute!!! :D

Guys really can't read, at least alot of them, I don't know how many guys use to come in there and ask for Virgin Ham instead of Virginia Ham.

Guys really can't read, at least alot of them, I don't know how many guys use to come in there and ask for Virgin Ham instead of Virginia Ham.

Maybe it was just wishful thinking. :D