2007 New Season TV Shows

KathieB

I've been watching the new episodes of my old favorites: House, NCIS, CSI: Las Vegas. CSI: NY, etc. I'm not enjoying them. The plots seem waaaaay too contrived. Too many camera obscura moments. Too much really bad writing. What had been lovely color use on CSI: Miami is now terribly boring, and those long, soulful silences are just tooooo touching. Survivor: China is more tits and a** and gratuitous violence than healthy, challenging competition. Two and a half Men has always been edgy, but even those writers seem to be out of genuine humor and are going totally for the risqué now that Jake is a little older.

And the new ones -- so many shows about death, vampires ... where's this coming from?

I don't like this trend. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just getting to be too sensitive to what I watch?

I'll be spending more time on the Discovery, National Geographic, and History channels, plus Project Runway. :yes:

This has been going on for a long time. I am sorry to say my husband gets upset with me because I can't watch th news without crying. But, there are too many pregnant women coming up missing since Lacey. I can't take it. I spend a lot of time on kids stations. Even when the kids aren't home. Pretty funny huh?

We have decided we like kid nation a lot...even though there was some controversy as it was considered by some child abuse. And on the same night which was sad for me because I couldn't watch it all was "pushing up daisies" It is somewhat morbid but also very sweet. The way it is narrated reminds me of ella enchanted. *I liked it a lot.

Other wise I have not seen an episode of house or grey's anatomy for sometime and those were my staples last year. I am enjoying "nightmare kitchens" with gordon ramsey. It is just funny enough and just gross enough. My daughter's like the "Reaper" which I don't care for. But, we can't agree on everything. :yes:

Yes, it has been that way for awhile now, and getting worse. If I watch anything, it is usually the Hallmark channel, or Animal Planet shows, and not much else.

I also don't like the way tv programs are totally destroying the morals of this country, with the things they show, and stand for. And, everyone wonders why kids these days are growing up the way they are? Duh...

My son commented on the amount of "professional cleavage" on CSI. The plots are not the problem, but why does the coroner on CSI wear a tank top and have her boobs hanging out. You would think she would cover up more what being an MD and all especially with working with dead strangers being her (pretend) job and all.

I guess as far as prime time shows I watch more sit coms. Like Earl, Office and Three and a half men. I really like Rescue Me. It comes on FX. Its like a soap opera and I am totally hooked. Discovery Channel has become my new favorite station. Deadliest Catch is probally the best. Dirty Jobs and Myth Busters are also really good. I use to watch Nightmare Kitchens on BET. I haven't checked it out since it came to the united states. I wonder if it is as good.

I watched "Pushing Daisies" & thought it silly.

DH & I have been joking about the cleavage on "CSI: Miami" since it began; I wonder how much better the show could be if David Caruso could act...

I did enjoy "Raines" last season, Jeff Goldblum is a quirky enough actor to pull it off; but I see it isn't on the schedule this time. Not enough T&A & foul language, I guess.

I watch the Discovery channels, BBC America (I'm STILL a "Dr Who" fan!), TNT & USA ("Law & Order" reruns, hurrah!); at least on the Discovery Health Channel the T&A is usually busily delivering a baby!

We keep our TV on Nickelodeon for the most part. I love Ned's Declassified (I believe Fred Savage directs it).

But I'm not offended by the dark or trashy nature of TV, obviously it gets ratings so the masses must approve. It's just a shame so many parents turn a blind eye to how much of it the kids are watching. I think it's an apathetic need-to-be-a-pal parenting culture we're seeing, versus a media culture. Both affect kids, but how the parents filter it is the key.

I for one am really looking forward to what must be the worst of the worst as far as trash TV goes... Nip/Tuck - October 30!!! I love that show, it's such a perpetual carwreck... you shouldn't look... but... you just can't turn away!! :yes:

I watch very little TV anymore. Spend my time working on my dollhouses and reading. We do watch HGTV in the evening sometimes. You can't go far wrong with home improvement shows.

Yeah, with the trend toward death and gruesome stuff you'd think it was Halloween all the time.

Dh and I don't have Tv at the moment and I don't think we are goingto ge tit. ( We have DVDs) We have been talking about how bad tv has gotten and for what we were spending on cable we buy all the seasons of the ones we watch and still have money left over. We love Dr. Who too, and Stargate ( though it's over) and Atlanis, Lost, and a couple others.

We watch a lot of dvd's. For what cable cost we can buy several a month instead. We order a bunch every year from colubmia house. Usually there low pirce ones. and we often buy preciously rented movies choosing from the 4 for $20 shelf. We are currently building on our old TV series collection and B horror movies.

Melissa

But I'm not offended by the dark or trashy nature of TV, obviously it gets ratings so the masses must approve. It's just a shame so many parents turn a blind eye to how much of it the kids are watching. I think it's an apathetic need-to-be-a-pal parenting culture we're seeing, versus a media culture. Both affect kids, but how the parents filter it is the key.

Jen, it's human nature to be interested in a train wreck. But it's also human nature to enjoy good music and art and healthy relationships. The TV producers keep pushing the dark edges in the race for ratings. Just because there are award winning artisans who can craft a reasonable facsimile of a decapitated head/body doesn't mean we have to see it 20 times in an hour. We didn't need to see the bit on CSI:Las Vegas last night with the coroner and his assistant wrestling the helmet off the decapitated head in order to move the storyline forward.

Seeing is believing, and if children and unthinking adults see the gratuitous violence and other extremes on TV, it is perceived as acceptable behavior. Or if not acceptable, at least expected. When it's no longer shocking or even surprising, it becomes absorbed into the fabric of life. I think you're right about the need-to-be-a-pal parenting culture, but I think in combination with the current media culture, it's a deadly, deadly combo.

I am a firm believer that people of all ages can rise to the level of behavior expected of them. I think one thing that is missing from life today is a sense of expectation and astonishment. We ought to expect good behavior and express astonishment when bad people/children behave badly. Instead, these programs simply shrug at this week's shocking events as all in a day's work, soon to be topped by next week's episode.

Getting off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening.

i rarely watch tv, maybe once a month while i'm working on my dollhouses in the family room. I usually have it on HGTV, or Discovery. if the satellite dish were upstairs i'd probably watch more tv so it's a good thing it's downstairs.

If this is what the masses approve of then God help us. Headless corpses, so-called medical personnel half naked, subject matter in general that is totally gross is about all that's on anymore. It really scares me what's happening. I rarely watch TV anymore and mainly use it for playing my good old VHS movies and DVDs. The last good show I remember was "Touched by an Angel". I was surprised they even allowed it on since it mentioned God. ;)

TV has been steadily going downhill for years. Movies too. My husband and I love old black and white movies from the late '50's on back, the old tv shows like Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy, and Leave it to Beaver. They were clean entertainment. Maybe they inspired people to try and live better, who knows.

Not only TV and movies, but those video games...car chases, killing, prostitutes, etc. Who in the world came up with that garbage? Does anyone think it's beneficial to ANYONE, kids or adults, to sit in front of a tv screen playing that trash?

Even TV now...sex is everywhere. Not that I have anything against it.. ;) ... but there IS a time and a place...and it's not television.

Now as far as the current shows I enjoy: CSI:Las Vegas, Ghost Hunters, If Walls Could Talk, Antiques Roadshow, Animal Planet shows, Discovery channel, History Channel, HGTV, Everybody Loves Raymond reruns, Seinfeld reruns. I love anything educational or historical.

My husband also likes the blood/guts/flying eyeballs type of movies...although he does have the courtesy to wait till I've gone to bed to pull those DVD's out.

I can't find much on TV that appeals to me either. You would think that with over 100 channels there would be SOMETHING to watch, but sometimes there just isn't. One of the few nights when there is womething worthwhile, Mondays, I am ministering at church and have to miss Antiques Roadshow and Dancing with the Stars.

Some of my other favorites are Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader?, Extreme Makeover Home edition, Mystery! when it's a Foyle's War epi, Kitchen Nightmares, Til Death, My Name is Earl, The Office, Cold Case, The Real Deal/Real Estate Pros, and the Taps guys. My guilty pleasure is watching judge Joe Brown or Judge Judy yell at people (they need to be yelled at LOL). I'll watch Lost when it returns in Feb, but I'm not the avid fan I once was. I also got into Jericho and will try it again, but if the quality slips this season I am out. I used to love CSI, but the never ending plot structure didn't work for me, since I can't watch it every week and thus need everything tied up into a neat 60 minute package, so I stopped watching after the third or fourth miniature murderer episode.

I love my Netflix subscription! We are just finishing the series Rome, and are about to get season three of Combat! We recently finished watching the last of the 80s series Wind in the Willows that are on DVD. My appeal to A&E to release season 3, 4 and 5 have so far fallen on deaf ears.

The show that offends me most is Decision House, which essentially turns divorce into a game show.

I don't have cable, just a rotary antenna that gets me the standard networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and FOX), so I don't have much of a choice (I refuse to pay for cable/satelitte when they offer a million sports and news channels with each package that I just don't want). I have to agree that many of the plot lines have gotten blah and boring. Some of the new shows are cheesy (Moonlight, Pushing Daisies), have actors who can't act (Bionic Woman) or are just annoying (Dirty Sexy Money, Big Shots - even though Michael Vartan and Dylan McDermot are on it, I just can't make myself watch it).

I crack up every time I watch any of the CSI's (and even some of the Law and Orders) re: the wardrobe choices of the characters - I mean really, how many coroners, cops, investigators do you know or see on the news who wear heels and the current fashions to a bloody crime scene? I used to work with state troopers and that was there biggest beef about these crime shows. Listening to them rattle on about the inconsistencies and the just plain wrong details jaded me to those shows. I think I'm just going to stick with my old stand-bys (Prison Break, Heroes, The Office and Grey's). I don't have the patience for "reality tv", but I do like Dancing with the Stars, just for the dances (grew up watching old Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire movies)...I just don't get to see it much.

I agree with tv going to extremes. I don't have cable--I watch too much tv with my few 'free channels'--abc, nbc, cbs, fox & pbs--as it is since I spend an hour a day on local and national news. As for the prime-time shows, part of me has a hard time committing to anything new since half of the stuff worth-while, that has real potential, is axed a few episodes into the season. The only shows I really enjoy are Ugly Betty--because it is silly and campy and if it does slip into trashy once in a while, it is in a funny way; Prison Break--like MacGyver goes to prison--I like the inventiveness of the main character; Heroes--because it is so different and imaginative--I just have to cover the eyes and peek thru the fingers when Siler is around since he does such gory things. And "Numbers"--but I always fall asleep and miss the ending!

This season, I am giving Pushing Daisies a try, because it is so colorful and there is nothing else on Wednesday that appeals to me. Other than that, I haven't seen anything new that looks interesting. The way they are staggering the new season, it is hard to keep track of what is new and when it starts. I am glad they are finally returning to scripted television instead of so many reality shows, but it would be nice if they were stories worth watching.

Well, maybe next year?

TV's pushed the envelope since the beginning--thankfully people have the choice to not watch (or let their kids watch) the stuff we don't like. I personally watch a lot of Food TV, Animal Planet, and Discovery (I LOVE Mythbusters!). Other favorites are No Reservations on the Travel channel (LOVE Tony Bourdain!), Ice road Truckers (have a lot of truck driving relatives, so it's neat to see that life portrayed realistically), and Top Chef, Queer Eye, and anything Tim Gunn's on. :-)

I Love Boston Legal, Grey's Anatomy,Dancing with the Stars,Charlie Rose,Bill Moyers Journal, Now and several Sunday morning political programs. I forgot American Idol which is probably the only time I watch Fox. I keep saying I'm going to get cable but still haven't done it!

I hate gore as on CSI .Ugh!

No Reservations on the Travel channel (LOVE Tony Bourdain!),

Another Bourdain lover! My Dh and I love him. Fred says that Tony has my attitude (or vice versa). I guess we can suffer the waiting for his new shows in January by watching Project Runway in November..cant wait cant wait cant wait.