11/17/05 Pretzel

Minis On The Edge

Someone else look this one up & give a nice long, detailed explanation, I recall reading somewhere that pretzels were a Lent-type bread with the shape representing the Holy Trinity. I do know the big, soft ones seem better with the yellow mustard than with the brown.

Oh please list whatever answers you can find about the Criss Cross Pretzel. :wub:

I LOVE that picture Calamari :o .

Holly, I love the cinnamon & sugar flavored pretzels. Those are the only ones I like (I know, a serious sweet tooth) :D !

There are a couple different stories, but instead of providing them, I'm going to see who can find the pretzels in this painting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, wonder if the poor soul is hit with them or if they are given as a sort of a gift??? :D

It is such a busy scene, would love to create something like that in minis, but where to put it? :o

Hugs

Sources differ as to the time and place of the pretzel's origin. Many sources say it originated in southern Germany (where it remains very popular and is known as Brezel); others say it comes from the French region of Alsace on the border between France and Germany. As the Alsace (Elsass in German) is populated by the same tribe as the described bordering Southern German region, is German in origin, was German until 1945 before being annexed by France and retains a truly German character (dialect: elsässer-dütsch), the opinion that the Bretzel could have French origins loses its grounding. Some say it originated in Medieval times, others that it dates back to Ancient Rome or even Celtic times. One documented account taken from the book 'History of Science and Technology' (au: Bryan Bunch with Alexander Hellemans) has it that-(610ad) "An italian monk invents prezels as a reward to children who learn their prayers. He calls the strips of baked dough, folded to resemble arms crossing the breast, prestiola ("little reward").

There are also several stories about the origin of the pretzel shape. One legend holds that a baker accused of larceny was offered the opportunity to cancel his sentence if he could make a bread through which the sun could be seen thrice; the ingenious baker twisted his dough into a pretzel before baking. Another common story says that the shape represents the position of arms of a monk in prayer and that the three holes represent the Christian Holy Trinity. A sign with three rings was an old symbol to mark a bakery in Germany, but sources differ as to whether the signs were made to imitate the pretzel or the pretzel was made to imitate the signs. According to some sources, the bagel originated as a variation on the pretzel. However, stories told of the pretzel are likely apocryphal, and the actual origin of the pretzel seems to be a mystery.

Taken from the free encyclopedia at Wikipedia

Hugs

Hmm . . . that painting kind of spooked me! I kept waiting for something to jump out at me! Anyway, I wouldn't want to buy a pretzel from anyone in that picture! :o

I love the almond pretzels from Auntie Anne's Soft Pretzels! Yummmm!!!

That's one of my favorite paintings, I have it as a jigsaw puzzle & whenever I was ill enough to stay home from work I'd set up the card table next to the woodburning stove with a kettle of water on it & a box of teabags handy & sit wrapped in my robe & fuzzy slippers & work on putting it together. I would LOVE to do dolls like the figures in the picture to go with the Tudor dhs I have plans for from all my old DHMS/ Dolls' House & Miniature Scene magazines.

Aha! I wondered how many people would be tempted to create the scene in mini!

I can't stand hard pretzels... Tracy's cinnamon-sugar ones are sounding darned good at this moment, though!

(But I'm going to paint trim instead, since the cat can't seem to learn how to do it herself.)

I often wondered about Pieter Bruegel, his paintings are usually chock full of people, each unique & individual. I think to make dolls that resemble his figures I'd go more with the technique used for the dolls in the Stettheimer dollhouse, modeling the heads and hands and feet, and using tape over a chenillestem armature for the bodies.

Hmmm... :o

Did anyone find the pretzels in the painting yet? I can't find them. It still spooks me, but I can appreciate all the colors and activity in the painting.

Holly, I can't wait to see the dolls you create! :o

Teresa, In "The Fight Between Carnival & Lent", look on the platform emaciated Lent is riding (right foreground) and the folks immediately to the rear & side who are also carrying pretzels.

I tried my hand at making the big soft, chewy pretzels I sove so well, but they turned out hard as beer pretzels so not I confine myself to buying one from Auntie Anne's whenever there's one nearby (the one in my favorite mall closed :wub: :D :o ).

The info that I found in my book here (Encyclopedia) it says the crisscross-shaped Pretzel was the creation of a medieval Italian monk, who awarded pretzels to children as an incentive for memorizing prayers. It says he dirived the shape of it from folded arms of children in prayer. The term pretzel supossedly dirived from the latin word pretiole which means "little gift" and the Italian word bracciatelli which means small arms. :D

I love to read tidbits and facts about things. It started when my parents took us kids on one of our weekly trips to Kmart. I always loved books (Paper dolls mostly at that time though) and my dad said he would by me an "educational" book and no toys :o .

Anyway, on the one trip, I found this book called "Amazing Facts" and it was about 500 pages and I LOVED it. I have been interested in "facts" since! :wub:

The info that I found in my book here (Encyclopedia) it says the crisscross-shaped  Pretzel was the creation of a medieval Italian monk, who awarded pretzels to children as an incentive for memorizing prayers. It says he dirived the shape of it from folded arms of children in prayer. The term pretzel supossedly dirived from the latin word pretiole which means "little gift" and the Italian word bracciatelli which means small arms.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting explanation. I always thought prezels came from Philly, like me ;) . Or is that soft prezels :) ?