I finally did it

Deb

<huge sigh> Okay, this is going to sound really weird and I don't think I could tell anyone else but my friends here, but I finally got past my eBay phobia and posted a listing. I know, I know, it's silly to be so apprehensive about something as simple as selling on eBay, but y'all.........my hands are shaking! I have *no* idea why I've always been skittish about selling on ebay but it's always made me clutch just thinking about it. Maybe it's coz I'm such a stereotypical Virgo and I don't have total control over it. <sheepish grin> Or maybe it's just because it's something new that I've never done before and it feels a little like walking down a busy street wearing a blindfold. Whatever it is, I finally got past it and I've got my first official auction going.

It's not a mini for the first time. Some of you know that I do textile arts too and for my first auction, I decided to sell my lucky wall quilt. It's lucky because it was my first art quilt to win an award so it seemed logical to make it my first auction. It's called Moon Over Mardi Gras and it's just a very positive piece. Anyway, I thought I'd start out with the textile arts to get my feet under me before I start selling the minis on eBay or start a store there. My login is debs-minis so if any of you run across the listing and want to give me any advise about what buyers like to see from a seller, pleeeeeeeeease do. I read all the tips and tutorials for selling but I'm not familiar enough with eBay to know if I did all the things that make an auction appealing to buyers.

Wish me luck!

Deb (still shaking and slightly hyper-ventilated)

oooh such a awsome quilt. :p You have a great talent.

I have sold about 20 things on eBay. So far I haven't had any problems. The only advice I can really think of is....

Look at other peoples listings and figure out your " small print ". What I mean by that is your shipping policy, your return policy, and things of that nature. I change something everytime I make a new listing. :wave:

oh yeah try to fit as many differnt words for the item as you can in the title.

such as... quilt, blanket, that sort of thing. They may be looking for a mardi gras blanket, but fall in love with your quilt.

Keep us posted on your first sale. My first sale was a Rolling Stone magazine with Johnny Depp on it. I sold it for like 18.00

Deb, I totally understand your apprehension. I felt the same way when I first sold some items on ebay and actually was so timid at first I had my daughter put them up using her account. Then realized how foolish that was and ended up selling some dollhouse furniture on my own. I wish you much success with ebay.

Deb, I remember how I felt about my first ebay purchase a year ago, so I completely understand your aprehension. (I was lucky, my first purchase was a local pick up and the man was someone who sold for other people and gave me all sorts of advice for future purchases). Congratulations on getting past your fear and for listing your quilt. As a quilter, I would love to see a picture of it.

Thank you guys soooooooooo much for the words of encouragement and advice. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I get real nervous in uncharted waters (methinks it's a hangover from having school phobia coz we moved almost every year when I was a kid) I don't think I'm even that concerned about whether or not the first one sells........it's just *doing* it for the first time. I've added all your advice to my notebook of "things to remember". I knew I could count on the eBay experts here to help me fill in the gaps. Y'all are the best!

Deb

I was a wreck with my first Ebay listings, too.

Your quilt is beautiful.

I always add that my items are from a smoke-free home. Pet-free is also worth listing.

I don't give feedback until I'm sure the buyer is satisfied with the purchase. I also say that I will give a refund for the purchase price only, once the item is returned to me. I've had only one item returned, very nitpicky buyer. :D

Don't be discouraged if there aren't bids for the first few days. Most of the action, imho, takes place in the last 24 hours of an auction.

it's such a fabulous piece, deb!

the listing looks great, too. :p

you want advice on listings information, eh? well, eBay sends me greeting cards. i am a bizzy lil eBayer.

ok. as one virgo to another, i reckon there can't be too many ways to entice a buyer, by offering encouraging details about buying more stuff, and the nutz and boltz of the transactions.

once you're launched and busy selling additional items, in the TERMS section you might include information about what sort of packaging you use (recycled is nice), whether you charge a handling fee, whether you offer combined actual shipping costs, or offer a shipping discount, whether you allow local pick-ups, and whether you'll ship via priority, parcel post, and so forth.

congrats on getting past the angst. you're gonna be a stellar seller with heaps of sales.

:unsure:

This is fantastic advice! I've added so much more to my list of "how to" and y'all make it much clearer than anything I've found. You've given me confidence to move ahead now!

Deb

It is a wonderful piece of artwork Deb. So beautiful. Good luck on your first auction and much success on your new venture. I buy many things on e-bay but don't sell anything because my husband smokes. Listing items as coming from a non-smoking house is something I am sure is appealing to a lot of people.

Deb's quilts ARE works of art. She's a fiber artist, and has carried it over into her mini work. I saw one her dressed beds that Peggi has, and it is exquisite, easily prettier and more elegant than anything I saw on the Williamson Walton-Marble table at the recent Atlanta show.

I GOT IT!! I GOT IT!! I GOT IT!! .... woohoo!!

The auction ended after my bedtime, but I was up early to check out the results ... thank goodness for the automatic bidding feature! B)

Deb, I'm so excited -- can you tell??? -- This is going into our soon-to-be-refurbished Mardi Gras room.

:blink:

Yay!! <happy dancing> I'm sooooooooooo glad it's going to live with someone who loves Mardi Gras as much as you do. When it was on display in Paducah, there were several people who said that it brought back happy memories of their trips to New Orleans so I hope that it captures the spirit for you too. The pictures really don't do justice to the bright colors in the fabrics. They're Hoffmans and the colors just sparkle.

And I did it again! I took all the advice y'all have given me and posted three more auctions today. And I didn't have any anxiety about it this time either! I think I may be getting past the block. Woohoo!

Deb