Facebook and Myspace

Missymew

A friend at work convinced me to join Facebook. I've discovered that it's a great way to keep in touch with my nieces and nephews with their busy schedules.

I was wondering if anybody on this forum has joined Facebook or Myspace?

-Susanne

I have a listing on myspace.com ... I set it up when the teenage daughters set up theirs. If they want a website on there, they have to keep it private and they have to have us listed as friends, so we can see what's going on. It helped them make a few corrections on their sites ... like the then-15-year-old must have made a typo when she listed herself as being 18, eh? ;) And their friends have definitely cleaned up their language in messages.

I only go on it every 4-6 weeks, but they don't know that. :)

i don't have a facebook, but do have a myspace, it is a great way to catch up with family and friends. my name on there is kath, but mine is set as private... i might have to look into facebook,too. Maybe we can come up with a myspace for mini crazy people...oh wait, that's what we have the forum for...lol

None of the above. I watched my teen cousin go through some major self esteem damage control from high school bullying online. So nobody in our house uses the generic online communities... we'll work our way up to it when the kids are older. Right now we all play on ClubPenguin.com. It's fun for the whole family to meet out in cyberspace and great training for the kids to communicate online... You can keep your penguin in bubble-talk mode (where they have to select from a list of sayings) for younger kids, and then upgrade to actual typing chat when the kids are old enough.

Plus, you have your own igloo, a pet and stuff you can collect, and they keep it fresh, with new games and celebrations - they'll have it decorated for Halloween soon! And those parts are all FREE! If you actually get an account, your penguin can buy all sorts of clothes, pets, decorate their igloos... I highly recommend it for little kids (and big kids like me).

I also have found it to be an integral first step in developing online communication skills for the little ones... you can become a 'spy' fairly easily, and it's very empowering for the kids to feel like they can monitor and report abuse (not that they've actual run across any yet!)

I can't say enough, without charging them as a spokesperson - if you've got kids, they'll love it!

I have both. Myspace is more for family and some of my friends that i dont talk to as much. Facebook i use to keep in contact with my "core" group of girlfriends. i like them both very much :)

I have a bare-bones myspace page, but for the most part I keep up with my online friends through our respective blogs/livejournals, use LinkedIn and library blogs/listservs for my professional network, and forums like this one for my hobbies/fandoms. Most of my relatives are most comfortable with email, so that's pretty much how I stay in touch with them.

Yes I have one of both. I prefer My Space because it has more personality. But Face Book is faster with my dial-up.

I got on because RayAnne wanted to have one. It is a great way to keep in touch with what your kids and their friends are up too.

RayAnne laughs because when her friends found out that I had one they all wanted to be "MY Friend" I Love it!!! I am on it more than her. LOL LOL

It is also a great way to get in touch with old friends.

If anyone is interested in being added to My Friends List send me a PM and I will send you the link!!!!