Update on my treatment

Tams

My month is going from bad to worse. I went in for the treatment. The doctor talked to me first, to be sure that I understood everything. I didn't! The nurse had told me stage 1, and that the freeze treatment would take care of it. The doctor showed me the results, it's mostly stage 1, but there is also stage 2 and stage 3. The doctor had told the nurse that I really should have surgery to remove the affected parts of the cervix. The nurse neglected to tell me that part. The doctor had been wondering why I decided on the freeze treatment rather than the surgery. Mystery solved. So, I didn't have the treatment today and am scheduled for the surgery on October 25. The hospital will call me with the time and everything. Definately not what I was expecting. I came home rather stunned. That was awhile ago and I'm still in shock.

Tams,

How frustrating! I'll bet you are in shock! Still, it sounds like the doctor has a good handle on things. I will be thinking of you and sending tons of positive vibes!

Traci

ps - I hope someone explains to the nurse what a big mistake it was to leave that part out!

Oh, Tams, I'm so sorry!! If it is like the procedure I had a few years ago (a cone procedure is what my doctor called it), it is outpatient and not too bad. I don't remember any sort of real pain afterwards. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope your month gets better.

Grrrr....I am so sorry to hear about all the problems your having. I definately think the doctor should talk to you if anything else comes up, obviously that nurse can't be trusted with relaying information, that seems like a huge mistake when it's about something this serious. You in my thoughts, good luck with everyting.

I hope someone explains to the nurse what a big mistake it was to leave that part out!
If the doctor actually told her and didn't overload her with a lot of information about other patients' procedures at the same time, leaving out information like that goes against the grain of everything I learned about patient teaching when I was a nursing student.

Good luck & {{hugs}}.

Best of luck, hope all goes well! Sounds like you had a rough day!

Truly though...as an RN, I've learned and always been told it's the Doctors legal responsiblity to give a diagnosis. True, most doctors do not...we are often stuck explaining much more to the patient. It is the nurses responsiblity to make sure the patient know what they need to to make an informed decision--if not, then they must have the Dr. speak to the patient again. In fact, when witnessing any type of consent for a procedure, in Indiana at least, the nurse is only to witness the patients signature of aa consent, we are not to explain it--though many times we have to. Many Drs I have run into over the last 16 yrs have left out info and blamed it on the nurse...and there are many nurses who don't do things correctly either--Either way, at least you know what you need to and will have the proper treatment:)