new to dollhouse construction

james dean

hi,

I am new to the forum and to dollhouse construction for that matter. Currently i am working on the Front Opening Alison JR. from Real Good Toys. I tried to pick a dollhouse that seemed to be relatively easy to assembly. Boy was i wrong. I have been working on my house for about a month and just now realized that I'm in way over my head. So I will probably be posting questions regularly.

james dean

Welcome to the forum! I'm relatively new to dollhouse building myself, but feel free to post questions any time. The people here are really knowledgeable and helpful and they'll always help if they can. Sue

Welcome to the forum, Briana. Several folks have put together RGT kits, including the Alison, Jr. Use the "search" button to see the threads & links. The first house can take some time to build because of the new techniques & skills you're learning; my first kit took me 3 1/2 years. I do find that the die-cut kits go together a lot faster for me than that!

Hello Briana and welcome!!

I am pretty new here too and have found this website and all the people here in the forum so helpful. It's given me the confidence to forge ahead with the building of my "Tennyson" dollhouse.. (one that's been discontinued.) I'm also in the beginning stages and have had all my questions answered here and I've learned so much. Flip thru the members galleries and see all the beautiful work that's been done. All the different styles of decorating, etc. Really gave me inspiration.

Good luck!!

Michelle

Welcome to the forum, where all (or at least most) of your questions will be answered,hehe. Ask away, there are so many talented people here who have built all kinds of houses, Good Luck!!!
And for each & every one of us there was a time when we didn't have a clue what to do or how to do it, but we did it, anyway! So remember that, and that the answers to your questions have often come at the expense of many trials, errors and lots of dumb luck!

Welcome, Briana! :D What made you decide to build a dollhouse?

I notice that you've made 5 posts already, so you could open a gallery if you have photos to share. Sometimes it helps to have a photo of a problem area, or something you have a question about. Our experienced members will be able to help you with advice and maybe a photo or two of their own to explain their solution. Of course, everyone here just loves eyecandy - so feel free to share whatever you have!

I worked as a jeweler for awhile so building dollhouses seemed like a good outlet for my skills. It amazes me all the things that people make. They're so tiny and extremely detailed. I guess that is one of the things that drew me to this hobby. I haven"t even finished my first house and I already what another one. I think it is safe to say that I am hopelessly hooked. :D

Hi Briana, and welcome. I'm new here, too and couldn't have accomplished what I have so far without the forum...and lots of help from my friend, Chris. Feel free to ask any questions, everyone on this forum is so helpful, even with what I think may be stupid questions to the seasoned dollhouse builders...they've always been so helpful and given me lots of great ideas. Good luck with your build. I thought mine would be easy, too, but mine keeps taunting me with lights/no lights, wallpaper or paint or both...and dreaming of the next build, even when your first one isn't even close to being done. It's such an obsession, but great fun (at times), too!

The larger RGT houses can be baffling especially if you have never built one and are relying the the instructions. For those who have never built one the RGT instructions are about as clear as mud. Each instruction sheet in packaged with the components. There is a warning not to open the package until you have reached the point where you will be building it. If you do open anything ahead of time, watch out!

Oh almost forgot, welcome to the group!

I just primed an Apple blossom and extension today.

what I think may be stupid questions to the seasoned dollhouse builders
Briana, please do not make Kathy's mistake, there are NO "stupid" or "dumb" questions, if you can't figure out an answer! And there are countless others on this forum, including "seasoned" ones who either haven't gotten around to asking that question & also want an answer, or haven't yet gotten to the problem. Also, probably somewhere between 89-99% of the answers come from someone's trial & error or sudden "DUH!" moment.