First Time!!

daisygirl

Wow!!! All of the houses are so great!!!

Let me begin by telling you how I have gotten here today. I was given a dollhouse kit at about the age of 12, the kit then sat under my bed for 8 years until I decided that it was time to try it!! So I started to put it together and I was in way over my head. Well I figured that I would put it in the box and try it again later down the road. The box was then put into the basement, which that spring started to leak right by the dollhouse. The dollhouse pieces were soaked the instructions awful and my lovely boyfriend (now husband) decided without asking that he would throw it out. 5 more years have passed now and I was watching tv the other day and there was a young girl playing with a dollhouse, well this got me thinking where is my dollhouse. I asked my husband if he had seen it and he then told me the news of the dollhouse that was no more. So overall it was not to bad because now he feels bad and I can get any house that I want now.

Now here is my question, what house would you suggest for a first time and what tools would you reccomend me to get?

I love how creative you can be with them!!

Thank you for your time!!!

Welcome to the community, Jennifer! I'm sorry about your old doll house, but now you have a choice. I'd suggest you browse through the galleries here and the Greenleaf dollhouses dollhouse pages to see which house calls out to you. (Click on the "dollhouses" button on the left side for a drop-down list.) Whatever you decide to build, you can get all the help you need right here. :)

Hi and welcome. :) I agree with Kathie and go look around the gallery and see which house grabs your attention. Once you decide you will be able to find a wealth of knowledge on how to start building and decorating your house here.

Happy house hunting. :(

Hello and welcome! I am still working on my first build I chose the Greenleaf Haunted House kit and I have really liked it. I have kind of a similar story I got a dollhouse when I was young and started it but never finished it. Now I love building dollhouses. I think they can all be good choices. My own oppinion is to start with a simple one first. I have learned so much doing this one I feel a lot more confident for my next one. I think it would have been too easy to get overwhelmed with a complex one. Anyway that is my two bits!

Good luck and let me know what you decide!

First, a big hearty welcome to our forum "family"! Second, while a lot of people think it best to "start small" it's entirely up to you! If the Garfield or one of the other larger houses calls your name, it's OK. I have built a couple of kits and can tell you I still make mistakes, I still get the "Oh, God, what have I gotten myself into?" feeling when I open the box of another kit, and as we who have survived building one kit can testify, there is nothing that cannot be rebuilt, replaced, or covered in spackle, paint or trim.

Guilt seems as good a way to get your kit as wheedling with puppy-eyes.

Hi and :blink:! I would choose something on the small side (Orchid, Arthur, Buttercup, Haunted House, etc.) so that you won't feel overwhelmed. If you go to the General Mini Topic you will see some pinned threads about how to start and supplies and such. Also feel free to ask questions, there are always people around willing to answer them. Good luck. Let us know what you choose.

B)

Hi and welcome. I can't wait to see what you pick out!! You'll know which one when you see it. It will seem to jump out at you. My Husband and I work on the houses together. Nice bonding time. We decide what we want to change on the house, ect. Plus usually a relaxing time to talk about other things. Well we work together during the build (he does most of that) I usually decorate, paint, ect. What ever you do read the directions over and over a few times. Mark pieces before you punch them out. Most of all have fun with it. What doesn't go right one day will sort it's self out another day.

Tools can be anything from a square to the glue you use. Never hot gun glue. Pencils to mark pieces. Lots of masking tape to hold things together while dry fitting and waiting for the glue to dry. Masking tape is your friend when building a house. With some houses you need a small saw. I have a small miter saw. You don't need them for all the houses, but they come in handy. Guess that is about all that I can think of. Have fun. :D

Welcome to the forum, Jennifer! Do you happen to remember the name of the original dollhouse kit that had such a sad end? (I'm just curious.) You are very lucky - you get the pick of the litter! Any thoughts yet on which house you're leaning towards?

Welcome also to Doreen. Please do as Havanaholly suggested, and introduce yourself. We love to find out about our new members!

I want to start with a big THANK YOU!!! Thank you for all of the tips and all of the warm welcomes.

I am 25 and I live in Michigan with my husband, dog and cat. We have a wonderful house on a very beautiful lot in the country. We were just married this past August, we have been together six and a half years but married only a couple months. I work with his family in thier family owned retail shop. I have been into crafts for a while now from scrapbooking to making jewelry to cross stiching.

After looking at all of the wonderful pictures on this website I think that I am going to start with something small like the orchid, and then work my way up to I think my favorite house Garfield I love the wrap-around pourch. But I do think that I am going to start small!! And I think that this weekend would be a great weekend to purchase a new dollhouse!!!

Oh and on the suubject of my old dollhouse that had met it's doom, I do not remember which one it was I am sorry.

Once again thank you all for all of your hellos!!!