Front porch, egg carton stone laid out.

Myangela

I've been enchanted by the way egg cartons have offered the convincing look of stone. Decided to tackle this prospect for the front porch. Thought a slate like look for the expansive (2-1/2' x 5") would look cool. Still a work in progress. Hope this wasn't a futile venture, clean off will be a major pain. Hope I can make it work. Almost sent out an opinion please post.

• Like 2

From the album:

Dura-craft VM600 Refurbish, Remodel

· 188 images
  • 188 images
  • 0 comments
  • 441 image comments

Recommended Comments

When I was doing my last bricking job, and gaining new wrinkles of frustration on the grouting in the tricky inaccessible areas of a massive fireplace, my kid looked at me and said, "you ought to leave it as dry. Who'll notice tiny grout lines?"

For a minute there I wondered if she had a point... but with a couple weeks' distance from the frustration, I can say that (as always) I'm glad I made the effort. Maybe no one would have noticed what was missing, but with it there, it's noticeable. If that makes sense. :)

Hope you'll feel that way too because I can see from these two pix it's already gorgeous!!

• Like 2

You know you're a miniaturist if you think 2.5x5" is "expansive". LOL. ;)

I saw the process done by Joanne's Minis. I like what you can do with egg cartons too. She did a cement sidewalk with it. I want a porch like you have (spacious). I'm dying to do a porch swing!

• Like 2

My nephew has only one request, a porch swing. Well, guys, just finished ripping out the stone work. So many times I've done a practice piece to learn techniques and to see if the final product was what I had in mind, or better. Guess I got a little too sure of myself. The texture was way to rough, it just didn't fit the house. I kept thinking I could make it work, but, in the long run I'd have put more time trying to fix it than if I just started over. Scraped it out before the glue was set like cement. Really looking for a slate look and I have some ideas. I'll share my practice piece with you all, and, look forward to your opinions.