blue rose

blueirishmoon

Asian art nouveau inspired hanging rose silhouetted against the sun, over water. This was a commission for my cousin who lives in Raleigh, NC. His twin brother lives in Portland and got the pink rose. I thought I should do the same pattern but in different colors. Luckily for me, though I'd never been to his family's house, I guessed right and found the blue to go well with their décor. This is the third time I've done this pattern. Spectrum's mimosa for the sun, Youghiogheny mottled white glass with a cool tint, verging on blue, for the rose, spectrum's congo for the leaves, sky blue waterglass for the middle, clear baroque swirl for the background, and dark aqua waterglass for the border. I'm afraid the bright sunlight I took this picture in makes it hard to see some of the colors.

From the album:

Glass Art

· 25 images
  • 25 images
  • 1 comment
  • 41 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with PENTAX Corporation PENTAX Optio A30
  • Focal Length 7.9 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/60
  • f Aperture f/8.0
  • ISO Speed 64

Recommended Comments

Beautiful. How/where do you suggest displaying your pieces for the optimal color and sparkle? What I mean is ideal lighting locations like east windows, west, interior, exterior, directly on another glass, shaded by porch roof coverings, using reflective items like mirrors, with artificial lighting, etc., etc.

These are all displayed inside the home. I find northern windows are the best to display in with east and south a close second. West is not the best, especially for lighter colors as the stronger sunlight will wash out the colors. This also happens with lamps, which is why they usually have low wattage bulbs, like 45W. If a panel is small, 12" x 18" and smaller, and your window sills are deep and pretty strong, I just prop it up on the sill, leaning against the plain window glass. If you have a glass paneled front door, like I do, they usually sandwich the stained glass between two sheets of insulated weather-proof glass. This protects your finish, and will also keep the sun from baking and softening the glass and solder. Extreme hot and cold is very bad for stained glass, as it makes the glass more brittle, and the solder, which is lead & tin alloy, too soft. They can also be displayed outside under shaded roofs, like on a porch, where they can be hung. To hang a piece, I have to solder rings to the frame and add strong chain. Mirrors can definitely reflect the glass, but I don't usually put glass in front of one. Artificial lighting is ok too, but you don't want to go too bright, as I mentioned with the glass lampshades.

Thank you for taking the time to explain these questions. I have a few small gift pieces that I've never felt I displayed to their best appearance. This helps me re-think my placements.