Padding Walls

Jitchiwah

Padded walls with 1/8" balsa to allow me to use a pre made interior door. 

Used a combination of wood glue with superglue along the edges and lot of clamping! 

You can also see my pre-stain popsicle stick floor. 

From the album:

Green Cottage

· 34 images
  • 34 images
  • 0 comments
  • 22 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

I really like your Popsicle stick floor and would like to make one for my room box. What adhesive did you use? Did you have to tape or weigh it down to dry?  Any help you can give would be appreciated.

I used Aquadhere which is a woodworking glue here in Oz (just a standard PVA type wood glue). I cut all my sticks to size but discarded any that were at all warped, bent or wouldn't sit flat. I didn't seem to need any weights or anything to hold them down as they didn't seem to warp or lift. I did try a section where I popped a dot of super glue on each end to hold down while the wood glue dried, but it really didn't make any difference so I went back to just the wood glue. 

I just applied a line of glue down the centre of each plank, put in place and pressed down. Just be careful not to use too much glue (or drop a glued plank glue-side down on the floor you've already laid!) as the stain will not take to glued areas. 

I did draw multiple straight lines on the floor before starting so I had guides to work to as I progressed - it was a little tip I picked up from a YouTube tutorial. It just helps give a gauge to you can keep it square as you go, instead of getting to the opposite wall and suddenly realising you've ended up on an angle!

I left overnight to dry and then sanded it really well with two grades of paper (coarser first to get rid of any major bumps, then fine paper to smooth). I vacuumed after sanding to get rid of the dust that was in the grooves between planks! I stained once floor was in place. 

Definitely do flooring & staining before papering as the stain could mark walls and I did get a couple of spatters up onto the painted walls as I stained. 

• Like 1

I have the wallpaper cut, but thankfully did not install it yet.  After reading this, I will work on the floor first.  

Very helpful explanation, thank you so much!

Apparently you can lay your floor onto a card base cut to size, which would allow you to do this without risking wallpaper if you ever wanted to do this where the room was already decorated. 

And this would also allow you to remove & replace the flooring easily if you ever changed your mind. I glued mine straight to the floor so it means it's now in and STAYING in. 

This is the tutorial I watched in my research phase - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-UZbLoBZ20. HAVE FUN!

Hmmm, I might do that instead of glueing it straight to the floor.  If I mess up and don't like the results, I can try it again.  And it would probably be easier for me to apply the Popsicle sticks and the stain without walls in the way.

And thank you for the tutorial link, I'll watch it.