© brae oktober

Watson Mill - initial dry fit

otterine

Some of you might recognize the 2009 Spring Fling kit.  Jen's (Intrinsicat) Loganberry Mill was one of the first miniature houses that drew me into the hobby.  Hers is truly an inspirational build.

So, this is where I start...with an idea for my own take on the kit...Watson Mill.  I punched out the upper window even though I will be adding sails here, because the kit had trim pieces die-cut there that were falling out.  I'll just have to patch it.  I won't be using the cardboard roof pieces, but they complete the dry fit.  I will move the door to one of the side walls so I've left it and the window intact for now.

I will keep the full scale aspect and make this more of a fantasy build in the vein of Roland's Retreat.  That saves the hassle of adding a full kitchen and bathroom.  This will also be a mill rehab with most of the inner workings of a proper mill long gone and replaced with the cozy decor of its current resident, Gustav, who is an otter with a thirst for knowledge and culture.

For the exterior finishes, I am drawn to both wood shake and brick, so I might end up with a mix of the two if I can't decide.  I will likely build up the ground as Jen did to make the landscape more interesting.  

As for the sails, they are going to have to actually spin, right?  :ohyeah: More on that to come... 

So, I've put the kit in dry fit so I can stare, think, plan and play.  I plan to start this build in a couple of months.

Copyright

© brae oktober
  • Like 4

From the album:

Watson Mill

· 84 images
  • 84 images
  • 0 comments
  • 369 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments