Found this product on Amazon

Myangela

cherry wood veneer on cardstock.  I used a paper cutter to make the planks.  Glued them in place with Ticky-Tack, then gave them a coat of shellac, followed with a stain.  Finished with a coat of furniture wax.

• Like 2

From the album:

Charleston Single House and Garden

· 120 images
  • 120 images
  • 0 comments
  • 534 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, Luanne said:

Wow, what a versatile item.  How many stars would you give it? There is no rating on Amazon. Thanks. 

For this application, I'd give it five stars.  It is very easy to work with.  Here is a picture of the finished floor.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I added it to my Amazon's wish list. 

Thanks for showing us the result. It looks fantastic.  I imagine it went a lot faster than using craft sticks which is what I have used in the past. 

17 hours ago, Luanne said:

I added it to my Amazon's wish list. 

Thanks for showing us the result. It looks fantastic.  I imagine it went a lot faster than using craft sticks which is what I have used in the past. 

It was so much easier to work with, especially since the veneer is mounted on card stock.  I had planned to use craft sticks, and had even put down a herringbone pattern on the dining room floor, but I really wasn't happy with the results.  I was able to pop that floor out fairly easily.  Since I am scratch building this house I had allowed for the thickness of the craft sticks flooring so I had to glue down mat board under the veneer on these first floor rooms.  And being able to use a paper cutter rather than my saw was soooo much easier.    I used to pre-finish the craft sticks and then assemble my flooring.  But here I assembled the flooring, glued it in place and then finished it.  I also used shellac instead of wood finishing products from the hardware store.  Started with a thin coat of shellac, let it dry, lightly sand, applied a second coat.  After that is dry, when you apply the stain you're staining the shellac, so no pesky glue spots can ruin the even finish.  I finished with furniture wax.

• Like 2

I love working with veneer for the same reason. It's so easy to cut with my rotary cutter, and it comes in such nice finishes! For the first dollhouse I ever built, back in the 70's, I used basswood strips. That was really expensive, and no where near as nice!

Do you have a cheap paper cutter or a nice one? I know with my paper cutter, there is a little drift in the cut as the cut gets to the end.

Mine is a bit off, so I put a piece of masking tape that is straight to where the blade cuts, and the width of my planks. I line the edge of the wood up with that, rather than with the lines on the cutter. It's one of those grey and blue ones at Staples.

6 hours ago, fbingha said:

Do you have a cheap paper cutter or a nice one? I know with my paper cutter, there is a little drift in the cut as the cut gets to the end.

It's a Fiskars papercutter.  Sometimes it's difficult to measure exactly the small cuts.  The masking tape marker is a great idea.

I've been buying the Burch veneer sheets  at joanne's but these cost so much less.  I can do a whole house for what I was spending on two sheets.

Thanks for posting this!

• Like 1

I use a rolling ruler to mark it then cut it on one of those big old school paper cutters. I get pretty even cuts. The burch veneer at joanne's has the peel and glue backing.