roofframework1.jpg

kathi17

This is the completed framing for the roof. It's a bit difficult not to be able to read Japanese for this step. I downloaded the google translate app to my phone, but there is no cellphone signal at my house. It was great when my wifi worked, but my DSL internet has been running at 12 kbs lately, and sometimes not at all. Fairpoint just keeps trying to make me buy a more expensive internet. Since they took over from Verizon, my internet has gone from around 100 kbs to between 12 and 20. Most of the time now, it's slower than the old dial up modem I had back in the 1990's. Anyway, the wifi and my beautiful Asus router don't like those speeds, and now I do better by plugging directly into the modem. (The modem is new, I bought a new one in case the problem was with the old one, but it wasn't. It was Fairpoint slowing me down even more because I'm grandfathered in to a lower price, and they don't like it).

Anyway, I can't use the app,so I'm really having a hard time figuring out exactly what I am supposed to be doing on the roof. It's mostly trial and error, trying to figure out what to do from the pictures, and holding everything up against the roof to see if it seems to be right before I glue.

Lots of skinny little pieces I have to figure out for tomorrow night!

• Like 1

From the album:

Japanese Inn and Spa Ryokan

· 134 images
  • 134 images
  • 0 comments
  • 337 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with SAMSUNG SM-N900T
  • Focal Length 4.1 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/39
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 50

Recommended Comments

This roof would be challenging if the instructions were in English!  So, I can only imagine how difficult and frustrating it must be for you given your current situation. 

But I just know you'll figure this out and it will look great when you are done!  

• Like 1

Sound so frustrating!  But you have done such fantastic work on this build, I'm with Cathy, you'll make this look great, too!

• Like 1

You should be grandfathered into a speed as well I would think! You have been working so hard on this project.

• Like 1

I think I should have investigated that speed thing too, Debora. I waited for too long, and I don't have the old Verizon paperwork that told what speed I signed up for. It has been years since Verizon sold out to Fairpoint, and Fairpoint claims it didn't slow me down. They just keep calling, wanting me to upgrade and telling me that I'm on dial up speeds.

When it was Verizon, we could even watch TV on the computer. With Fairpoint, I can't even load some pages, and it just keeps getting worse. This morning, I was trying to do an update, and it was going at 7 kbs, and then I would lose my internet for a while and have to start again. Luckily with Linux, it's easier to choose what and when to update. Windows was a disaster when it would decide on it's own to update.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kathi17 said:

I think I should have investigated that speed thing too, Debora. I waited for too long, and I don't have the old Verizon paperwork that told what speed I signed up for. It has been years since Verizon sold out to Fairpoint, and Fairpoint claims it didn't slow me down. They just keep calling, wanting me to upgrade and telling me that I'm on dial up speeds.

When it was Verizon, we could even watch TV on the computer. With Fairpoint, I can't even load some pages, and it just keeps getting worse. This morning, I was trying to do an update, and it was going at 7 kbs, and then I would lose my internet for a while and have to start again. Luckily with Linux, it's easier to choose what and when to update. Windows was a disaster when it would decide on it's own to update.

They would have the contract even if you don't, I would call them, you are a paying customer you should have at least the speed you initially signed up for and, with our provider when they bring in higher speed options the rest of the people usually get bumped up even if they don't choose the highest speed. I think they eliminate some of the lower speeds so they have to. Something is very wrong in how they are handling your account my dear.

• Like 1

The roof looks excellent Kathi!

Our broadband connection here averages 48MB/s..........Na, Na Na Na naaaa! Grow up Adamson!

Thanks Mike!

Yeah, I know that the internet and cell phones work much better in Europe. I guess it's probably because you don't have such vast areas of low population density.

When we go out to visit the kids in Rochester, NY, it's always amazing to me to have real cellphone coverage and real internet all the time!