Fairfield Attic Dress.jpg

Debsrand56

I found a great dressmaker's dummy charm at Michael's.  All it needed was a coat of flat black spray paint.  I decided it needed to be dressed though, so I added a dress from a by-gone era.  Not the best, but it will do.  It also allowed me to raise the mannequin up with a little platform (I thought it was just a big short), and hide the platform with the skirt.

• Like 2

From the album:

Fairfield (Berkeley)

· 33 images
  • 33 images
  • 0 comments
  • 52 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

It's lovely... :clap: I have, in recent days, been salivating over all the lovely miniature dresses on etsy, because I want some to hang in a wardrobe.. they are so expensive though and this to my eye looks just as good if not better!. You have inspired me to try my hand at it. :D

Thank you!  Absolutely give it a try. There was no sewing involved, except for a bit of gathering.  You just need some Fray Check and some fabric glue.  I love the things I see on Etsy, but they are rarely half scale, so I had no choice but to do it myself.

I found a manequin like this (I think) really cheap on Ebay and been thinking about getting it, the only bummer is the shipping cost >.<' But it looks so cute dressed! 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, wormwoodz said:

I found a manequin like this (I think) really cheap on Ebay and been thinking about getting it, the only bummer is the shipping cost >.<' But it looks so cute dressed! 

I'm guessing they probably don't have a Michael's (or something similar) where you are.  This is the one I got:  http://www.michaels.com/pemberley-sew-charms-by-bead-landing/10407419.html#q=sewing+charm&start=1  It's so unfortunate about the shipping costs, because you do have that really cute sewing room where a little dressed mannequin would look so good.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Debsrand56 said:

I'm guessing they probably don't have a Michael's (or something similar) where you are.  This is the one I got:  http://www.michaels.com/pemberley-sew-charms-by-bead-landing/10407419.html#q=sewing+charm&start=1  It's so unfortunate about the shipping costs, because you do have that really cute sewing room where a little dressed mannequin would look so good.

Yep we don't, and craft materials at the local art shops are usually overpriced tbh, sometimes I find better deals online even with shipping added. I try to order from EU sellers to avoid import charges, but I might just have to give in in this case it's too cute :) 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

This looks like a tiny scarlet o'hara picnic dress, no? Adorable!

Yes!! That's the look I was trying for.  So glad someone could tell what it was meant to be.  ;-) I used green thread to gather the lace, but you can't really see it.  I figured a nice antebellum dress would be good in a Victorian attic.