Merrimack MCM Desk.jpg

Debsrand56

Since it was rainy and dreary here all weekend, and I had temporarily run out of stained shingles for the Fairfield, I decided to give myself a treat and work on a little something for the Merrimack.  I really love this desk: https://www.pamono.com/model-54-desk-by-kai-kristiansen, so I did my best to create it in half scale.  There are some things I simply couldn’t reproduce (the inserts, the drawer pulls), I wish I’d made the liquor cabinet a bit taller, the drawers don’t open and the liquor-cabinet door doesn’t slide closed, but I think it’s a decent facsimile.  It’s made from basswood, mat board, cherry wood veneer scrapbook paper, teeny little N-scale lumber strips (for the liquor cabinet door), toothpicks, and the tube from a roll of paper towels.  The office chair is from Shapeways, painted. 

• Like 5

From the album:

Half Scale Merrimack

· 117 images
  • 117 images
  • 0 comments
  • 403 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

Brilliant Deborah! I would be so pleased with that and isn't Pamono just the best inspiration.

I found a 1960's Hi-Fi and Record cabinet on there today........which might just get shrunk tomorrow..........If I do half as well as yours I'll feel good.

Mike, that is high praise indeed!  :blush:  You know how much I love the furniture you make.  I've been paying very close attention to the beautiful things in your latest project.  I came across Pamono completely by accident, but it has some great items.  Can't wait to see your hi-fi!

Wow!  A+!!

I like your drawers pulls just as much - what did you use?

I looked at the real desk - you've got expensive taste girl... :)

I think I like Pamono.

• Like 1

Lovelly table, and fantastic details! The drawer pullers are perfect, can't get much closer than that. I love shapeways chairs, I hope they'll start offering also a wider range of frames with space to add cushions with upholstering.

• Like 1

This is gorgeous. You did a great job. I'd love to see a tutorial, just saying. :)

I have that same Shapeways chair. I left mine black but I like how it looks with the silver at the bottom, now I want to do that to mine!

• Like 2

Thank you all for your kind words. 

Mike-- The drawer pulls are links from a chain (the same chain I used to hang the porch swing on the Fairfield) that I painted gold.  I couldn't think of anything else that might work. Yes, I definitely have expensive taste.  :) My houses are where I get to indulge in fantasy wish fulfillment--I can't have it in real life, but I can have it in miniature! 

Ashley--  Having frames to which we could add upholstery is a great idea.  Maybe we could suggest it to a couple of the 1:24 designers.

Emily--   I never thought of doing a tutorial for it, but I could try to write it up.  I love your blog and the tutorials you have there.  I've gotten a lot of inspiration from you!

• Like 1