fairfield-bed1-1.jpg

wormwoodz

Added the fireplace accessories, the screen is the same design as the other bedroom ('Romantiek' by Arjen) and yet another set of tools by Phoenix, might seam a bit repetitive but it's 4 fireplaces and they all need to be 'accessorized' :p I'm not 100% happy with the fireplace earth... I've tried changing these so many times, making larger/smaller/thicker, and everytime just looks worse.. something I'll try again in the future perhaps, if I find a design that works better.

I'm also thinking about changing that empire sofa in the corner for something else, maybe a clothes rack (I have a kit of mini hangers that would look cute if I manage to 'dress' them), or a small comode with a hatstand...  something to add to the 'feminine' theme.

• Like 2

From the album:

~ Fairfield ~

· 58 images
  • 58 images
  • 0 comments
  • 222 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 6s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/33
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 160

Recommended Comments

Okay, I am completely obsessed with your house and I can't stop looking at it. Your attention to detail is what I envision for mine once it's built. Where on earth do you find all of your gorgeous furniture and rugs? I am having a hell of a time trying to find anything for my Fairfield. No one has anything nice at 1:24 scale! 

On 12/10/2018, 04:25:12, LeFemmeFatale said:

Okay, I am completely obsessed with your house and I can't stop looking at it. Your attention to detail is what I envision for mine once it's built. Where on earth do you find all of your gorgeous furniture and rugs? I am having a hell of a time trying to find anything for my Fairfield. No one has anything nice at 1:24 scale! 

Hi, thanks so much for the kind words :) I love this scale in miniatures and this is still my favorite house, I am always happy to see builds of this kit!

To answear your questions about furniture, I collect and repair miniatures for some time now and usually I search on the used market for old pieces in both 1:24 and 1:12 scale. I have collected a high number of 1:24 miniatures going back to mid XX century to now, most of the furniture displayed in this house was made by a company called Bespaq, dating back to the early 2000s but some are a bit more recent as well. There are also some pieces by John Baker, Ken Haseltine, Danny Rodriguez, David Kruprik, Arjen Spinhoven, and some made by myself. If there is any piece in particular you like I can try to identify it for you more precisely. Most of the rugs are from a company called Pike & Pike and they are made in Turkey if I'm not mistaken. They are woven mini rugs and easily found in most miniature supply stores in many sizes and colors, I usually buy them at local miniature fairs or from sites like amazon.

I do get what you are saying about being hard to find a good variety of furniture for smaller scales, but they are out there. It depends on the style you are looking for, these days modern style furniture is easier to find, specially with the marvel of 3D printing. But there are also some manufacturers who still make furniture in older fashions, baroque, neoclassic and XIX century revival styles are still fairly common. Sometimes it's just a matter of searching and waiting, I think chairs are usually the hardest thing to find due to how delicate they are, not many manufacturers are fond of making them in this scale. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all of the information! I am so excited about my Fairfield, but also super overwhelmed. I think once I get going it will be okay, but getting started is crippling me for some reason. I have the partial first and second floor dry-fit just sitting on my desk taunting me because I don't know where to go next. I'm so confused about when and how to wallpaper; before the walls go up, or after, when to do the floor; before wallpaper or after....and meanwhile, all I can think about is decorating it because that's the part I'm really interested in. I just end up spending all my time online searching for furniture. Talk about putting the cart before the horse hahaha. Also, I don't have any miniature shops near me, so I can't see anything in person, which is making it even more difficult.

My intention is to make a haunted/creepy/spooky/gothic/witchy themed house, so I'm looking for the older style, more ornate furniture. Luckily I'm not trying to make it period-accurate so all the furniture doesn't need to be from the same time period which I think makes it a little easier, basically I'm just looking for things that look "creepy" hahaha. 

I do have one more question if you don't mind. I love your window treatments as well. Did you make those yourself or purchase them? If you made them, could you possibly tell me what you did? Thank you so much! 

19 hours ago, LeFemmeFatale said:

... I have the partial first and second floor dry-fit just sitting on my desk taunting me because I don't know where to go next. I'm so confused about when and how to wallpaper; before the walls go up, or after, when to do the floor; before wallpaper or after....

Oh I also had most of my house in dry fit for a long time, I wanted to make sure all the parts were fitting properly and I wouldn't have trouble wallpapering after. I ended up decorating the interior walls and floor of the 'tower' on the 1st floor before I glued both "halves" of the house, so I had it parted at the mid larger wallsection for a while before I glued those two "halves" together. And I finished wallpapering and flooring before I glued the roof in, those rooms can be a bit tight to work with after fully closed, so it's good to run tests and see what works best for you plans :)

If you want to get a 'creepy' vibe on your furniture, you can also try adding weathering effects on finished furniture using dry pastel colors and other finishing effects. You can even use damaged/broken funiture for this purpose as it won't impact the look you're going for. I often find damaged furniture being sold in "bulks" of dollhouse components on sites like craiglist or ebay.

About the windows, the ones with a pediment on the second floor are houseworks windows model HWH5042, the ones with the gothic arches are Alessio's lasercut frames, and the exterior frames were assembled by me using wood trims and some of the original kit frames. You can find pre-cut wood trims being sold in lenghts at dollhouse suppliers. In my case I usually shop at a local model railroad/shipbuilding supplier for these materials, they usually have a good selection of 1:24 and 1:48 scale components, or order them in bulk online. They are very versatile because you can cut them in any lenght for baseboards and crownmouldings, or assemble them into window and door frames, I even use larger scale ones to make cornices and corbels for the exterior decor.

Those are good tips for decoration/assembly, thank you! 

Oh sorry, about the window treatments, I meant your curtains, like the ones in the living room with the valance!

2 hours ago, LeFemmeFatale said:

Those are good tips for decoration/assembly, thank you! 

Oh sorry, about the window treatments, I meant your curtains, like the ones in the living room with the valance!

Oh the curtains I comissioned from a seamstress, I don't have a miniature pleater so I just picked the fabric and design and gave the measurements to someone who had the tools to get the pleats right. I am thinking about buying a pleater eventually because I'm working on two other houses, they are metal frames you heat up with the fabric inside then spray them with a stiffening glue to keep the shape. For the valances you can use cardboard and fabric glue. The bedcovers I did myself and it was a lot of work without the right tools, I had to weave wire into the fabric to hold the pleats in place, took me several hours and a lot of patience. So I'd recomend a 1/4 inch pleater if you plan on doing several curtains and/or bedcovers, it makes the whole pleating process a lot easier.

• Like 1

I too can't stop going back and looking at it again and again.  You gave me some great idea for being able to order classy 1/24 scale items.....I'm so excited and now broke.