Marble Counter top test

SewMini

I came across a cool tutorial on how to mix Fimo to make a more realistic marble. The marble in the tutorial was opaque but I kind of wanted something that was a bit more translucent. Almost like alabaster. The process of doing this is a bit too much to explain here but I think they came out really cool. The mix on the right is the one I'm going to end up using. It's still translucent but more white. The one on the left is really cool but a bit too yellow for the kitchen. 

• Like 1

From the album:

SewMini's Casa del Paó d'Or

· 90 images
  • 90 images
  • 0 comments
  • 246 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 6 Plus
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/15
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 32

Recommended Comments

48 minutes ago, Samusa said:

This is really cool!.. Is there a link to that tutorial? :D

I neeeeeed this.. lol

Ha I thought of you when I did this!

This is the tutorial I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI6O7gvSujA

The way I did mine was a little different though because I didn't mix mine nearly as much. Basically I did this for the alabaster effect

1. Roll out main color into a rectangle. For the alabaster effect, I used a 3:1 ratio of translucent to white for my main color

2. Add small scraps of pearl white and plain white all across the top of the piece of main color.

3. Cut the whole thing in half and flip over one layer and place it on top of the other so that you have a layer cake that is main color layer, scrap layer, scrap layer, main color layer. Your clay should now be in a square.

4. Fold each corner into the center.

5. Fold the whole thing in half and then roll into a ball.

6. VERY IMPORTANT! Cut the ball in half and then flatten each half. Over lap the two halves and roll out until the layer is even.  Cutting the ball in half and then flattening is what gives you the marble look so you HAVE to do this step. If you don't it doesn't look nearly as marble-y.

Edited by SewMini
  • Like 3

That's great!.. I have to admit I was reading this and going... what is she doing with all that corner folding, etc.. and then it all made sense in the end... :D

I need to get up to the craft store for some Fimo.

ha Yeah. It all works out in the end. I found that if you dont do the cutting the ball in half part it just doesn't look right. It's too much of the main color and you lose all the marbling. In the tutorial she mixed it a whole lot more. I didn't want the translucent clay to get too mixed in so I mixed it a lot less. I kind of like how it gives big sweeps of color.