Merrimack Kitchen.jpg

Debsrand56

Here is the kitchen so far.  The cabinets (still a work in progress) and refrigerator are from Mini-Etchers (and there are some more uppers to come, as well as one of those cabinets with the half-round shelves at the end for the other side of the double-doors).  The dishwasher and stove are Acme magnets.  I love them because they actually open.  However, it never occurred to me that their height might be off.  The height of the stove doesn’t bother me, but the dishwasher looks a bit odd. I am used to them being under the counter.  I wanted it to the right of the sink, but that looked even odder.  I can still rearrange.  I haven’t put any countertops on (I will be making my own) or put the door handles on the refrigerator, in case I move things around.  Mini-Etchers does sell a dishwasher that will fit under the counter, but it won’t open.  Also, just realized when looking at the picture, that I’ve set the cabinet to the left of the stove in upside down, but you still get the idea.

From the album:

Half Scale Merrimack

· 117 images
  • 117 images
  • 0 comments
  • 403 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

It feels very "Brady Bunch" love that!

The dishwasher seems to have a lot of white area on the base that is unnecessary... are you able to cut it down? Or will that interfere with the working aspect?

6 minutes ago, Samusa said:

are you able to cut it down? Or will that interfere with the working aspect?

I'll take a look. It may interfere with the door opening, but if it doesn't, that's a thought to at least lower it some.

1 hour ago, fov said:

Here's a blog where someone cut down the dishwasher:

Thanks.  I'll check it out.  I think I can cut down at least some of it without interfering with the mechanism.

1 hour ago, fov said:

What's the era of your house? .

Somewhere between the mid-50s and early 60s, I think.  I do remember having a built-in oven and stovetop counter in a house we lived in in the 60s, but my grandparents' house, which was built in 1955, had a stand-alone range (although it looked more like the one I have in the bungalow).  The stove doesn't bother me nearly as much as the dishwasher, but now I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of the built-in oven and separate stove. 

Hmm here's something you could try to solve the problem with the height of the appliances: add an extra drawer to the counters and top them with a 'faux marble' surface. Doesn't need to be a working drawer, just something that will make up for the extra height. Even if you use a diferent material nobody will be able to tell the diference after painted. I like the magnets as well because they have working doors and look very realistic, the downside is sometimes the height doesn't match the scale 100% so require a bit of tweeking. I guess it's probably easier to modify the counters than the magnets :/

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, wormwoodz said:

Hmm here's something you could try to solve the problem with the height of the appliances: add an extra drawer to the counters

Hmm.  That is a strong possibility.  I think that might work better than cutting the magnet.  I will need to experiment.  I have been pondering whether I wanted to paint the cabinets or not, but I'm not thrilled with how they've taken the stain, so I probably will need to paint.  Fortunately, I only need to do three lower cabinets.

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Hmm.  That is a strong possibility.  I think that might work better than cutting the magnet.  I will need to experiment.  I have been pondering whether I wanted to paint the cabinets or not, but I'm not thrilled with how they've taken the stain, so I probably will need to paint.  Fortunately, I only need to do three lower cabinets.

I think they would look great painted too, you can test diferent colors on a bit of papper and play with the decor. Modern kitchens are usually a bit colorful; blues, greens, yellows... many colors would look great with the wallpapper. 

8de20d852af41a37749630749a097475.jpg