Spiral Staircase Version 2.0

Here's the redone version of the spiral staircase, using final designs and techniques. These are made out of those cheap wood fans you get at bad costume parties, mat board, and layers of card stock. For the step I cut the bottom layer of card stock to the size of a single step, then cut the wood fan piece to the right size, then cut the second layer of card stock into pieces that fit on either side and sandwich the wood in place. I also intend on adding the decorative balusters I made earlier to this, so I carefully excised a small piece of the wood out on the large end to make a small divot to support the balusters when I glue them in later.

The risers are made out of a single layer of mat board which provides a nice amount of stability to these. I still have quite a few more stairs to glue together, but it's coming together very well

From the album:

Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

· 110 images
  • 110 images
  • 0 comments
  • 74 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with samsung SAMSUNG-SM-N920A
  • Focal Length 4.3 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/60
  • f Aperture f/1.9
  • ISO Speed 200

Recommended Comments

That is such a great Idea and I am looking forward to seeing it take its place too. thank you for sharing it with us!

So glad you posted how you made your spiral staircase. It's going to be stunning.   I plan on putting one in my Lady Anna house.  Do you know where I can buy the cheap fan blades?  I haven't been to a costume party in years.....LOL

4 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

So glad you posted how you made your spiral staircase. It's going to be stunning.   I plan on putting one in my Lady Anna house.  Do you know where I can buy the cheap fan blades?  I haven't been to a costume party in years.....LOL

Hi martinimomma,

I know that you can get packs of them from Amazon in sets of 12 or more for about $12. Also, there are party favor sites such as the weddingoutlet.com that offer them very cheaply as well, although I don't know about shipping or quality since I just got mine at the party I went to. I would definitely make sure when buying to take a good look at the pattern on the fan to make sure that it works for what you want to use it for because the pattern can vary wildly between different sellers. I hope that helps! Let me know if you need any other information on how I calculated my stair sizing, I have some resources I can offer if you want.

12 hours ago, Anna said:

That is such a great Idea and I am looking forward to seeing it take its place too. thank you for sharing it with us!

Thanks Anna, I'm happy to share!

1 hour ago, MikeUK said:

Nice work and love the inspired use of materials!

Thanks Mike! I'm thinking I'm going to leave the colors as is because although it wasn't specifically planned, I love the color palette that my materials created, so I'll just touch them up with some acrylics and call it good!

Thanks for the info on the miniature fans.  I checked out Amazon, but they only sell in large lots, but the wedding site you mentioned will sell by piece.  

I would love the info on how you decided the spacing and the resources you offered.  I am a little math challenged, and it took me forever just to conquer miter cuts!

Sorry for the late response, I've been slammed with college finals and projects these last few weeks! Luckily I'll be done by Thursday!

Determining floor to floor measurement, diameter and footprint, well opening, etc.: https://www.salterspiralstair.com/inspirations/expert-advice/spiral-staircase-dimensions/

Determining outer handrail radius and length: https://www.hunker.com/12424882/how-to-calculate-a-spiral-stair-handrail

Spiral stair geometry calculator (also includes a handrail calculator at the very bottom of the page): http://www.blocklayer.com/stairs/spiral-stairseng.aspx