Front door

WyckedWood

Trying to design a wicket for the front door...door within a door..and make it so that the witches don't have to remove their hats when they walk in..:) 

• Like 2

From the album:

Marquam Hill Mansion WyckedWood

· 25 images
  • 25 images
  • 0 comments
  • 71 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 6
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/24
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 250

Recommended Comments

Thank you Selkie, I appreciate the encouragement, this is my second attempt..I had already made a double door but I wasn't overly happy with it, was too cottagey for this house. Then this idea popped in my head and all of a sudden I had a house theme :) now the wheels are spinning along nicely (in my brain ;)

I think the challenge will be making sure that it's obvious that there's a door in the middle. Not sure if I'd want to do a different color or I was thinking maybe have it (permanently) propped open.

Just did a online search of wicket doors. Very fun to check them out. There seems to be a significant dividing line of "meant to be hidden" doors and "meant to be in plain view" ones. Wondering if the inner door edges and areas where it would be touched could be shaded to show wear and tear and use marks that might make it stand out just enough. Unusual hinges might also work. Something like hinges that look like hands shaking or snakes wound together. Carvings or dragon bite marks or other unique designs on either the inner or the outer door would cause it to be more visible. Some of it depends on how you want it to read to the audience - secret, known only to a few or well known. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts Selkie, I've been thinking along those lines too:) hope my skill can match my imagination..takes patience and some trial and error. I think I'll do a few small lion or greenman type heads on either side, up high...if I can remember how to sculpt them, it's been awhile. 

Thanks Brae, think I've half decided to put a very small window in the witch door, I need a little path for daylight in the main hall. I was going to do some small windows above the door, like a transom but I kind of like the solid look the way it is.