© brae oktober

Circle library, horizontal shelves

otterine

I have 8 3/4" of library shelf space front to back.  To build the shelves, I cut 1/8" wide channels in the plywood wall using the Dremel Trio.  The channels provide a sturdy hold for each shelf cut from 1/8" basswood.  I started with 1" wide basswood strips and cut them down to end up with a roughly 3/4" deep shelf.   I hand cut the angles around the circle supports.  Not easy.

The two end boards are slightly deeper than the shelves.  For the top, I cut a piece of 1/4" strip wood for stability.  Once the ceiling is in, I will add trim to enclose the top space to keep it from being a dust-catcher space that's difficult to clean.  The space under the bottom shelf will be enclosed by trim or baseboard in the end, and I left a bit of clearance on the bottom for flooring thickness.

I still need to cut the support piece for the bottom of the circle, but I am tapped out for the night.  Next up, covering the plywood back between the shelves and cutting the mirror for the center.

Full post here.

Copyright

© brae oktober
  • Like 2

From the album:

Watson Mill

· 84 images
  • 84 images
  • 0 comments
  • 369 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

Wowowow! Fantastic! It's really coming together.. I have a feeling it's going to be spectacular when finished.. heck it's spectacular now. :D

Looking forward to seeing this finished and the little dumb waiter too. 

Brae, I have to admit that I did not understand the concept when I saw the picture of the circular bookcase by itself. NOW I DO!! This is really neat. 

Hey Brae, is that a distressed wall beside the bookcase wall?  Just a question.  Your bookcase is FANTASTIC!!  It is turning out WONDERFUL.  You are so inspiring.