© brae oktober

Circle library, back liners and mirror

otterine

Since the plywood wall would stain different from the basswood and veneer, I needed to cover it.  That's why I wasn't especially careful in marking it up during the rest of the construction.  

I cut the liners from 1/32" thick basswood.  This thickness of wood barely reduces the shelf depth, and I did take that into consideration when I cut the horizontal boards.  The curved edges sit under the circle, so the joins are not visible when the circle is in place.   I cut two curved shapes for behind the shelves of the circle.  The curves didn't need to be precise, so I cut them with an X-Acto by hand.

I cut Darice mirror sheet for the center section.  I will have to line the back of the mirror to bring it up to the matching 1/32" thickness.  I'll use layers of paper when I get to that part.  For now, I've left the protective film on it.

I plan to stain and finish these pieces separately in case of disaster.  :]  I can always recut, remake, redo, etc.  But, it would be a right proper pain to tear out once installed.  Besides, I have window/door/floor holes to cut and walls to prime.  Best to install the library later after the mess.

Full post here.

Copyright

© brae oktober
  • Like 2

From the album:

Watson Mill

· 84 images
  • 84 images
  • 0 comments
  • 369 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

Looks fabulous. I've been following your blog and am quite enthralled with this build.

I used that base kit once and created an outdoor upper deck area. Perhaps Gustav might need a quiet private spot to sip his drink on a warm summer evening. Possibly his miniature windmill build could be part of a lovely outdoor garden.