`2017-06-14-23.10.38.jpg

madtex1967

Shingling is finished!  I need to paint the roof ridge and glue into place.  I am also laying copper on the flat areas. 

• Like 1

From the album:

Model Homes Cape May Victorian

· 110 images
  • 110 images
  • 2 comments
  • 104 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with samsung SM-G930P
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/60
  • f Aperture f/1.7
  • ISO Speed 125

Recommended Comments

Looking good, Matt. What will you use to age the copper? I'm beginning to wonder if I really want to do a copper roof on the Beacon Hill tower unless I can age it to knock down the overpowering shininess of the copper. (I'm way too old to wait for nature to do the job! :D )

KathieB if you want a less expensive solution to actual copper, I used card stock spray painted with Rust-Oleum, Hammered Paint & Primer in One - Copper. I was very pleased with the result. You can see the result in the pictures I've posted.

9 minutes ago, Lise A said:

KathieB if you want a less expensive solution to actual copper, I used card stock spray painted with Rust-Oleum, Hammered Paint & Primer in One - Copper. I was very pleased with the result. You can see the result in the pictures I've posted.

Thanks for the suggestion, Lise. It's always nice to have options. I already have the copper sheeting. It is adhesive-backed, easy to apply, and I have some ideas about aging processes. Just wondering how Matt will approach it. 

I am not really certain how I will tackle that.  I have copper in the valleys and such, but they don't really show much.  The flat roof areas are where it needs to be aged.  I may have to hit up Google and see if there is an easy solution.

Because your roof is already in place, and you won't want to risk the surrounding material, you might try taping off and brushing on a mixture of MiracleGro (dry crystals, not liquid form) and red wine vinegar. That'll give it that blue-ish patina of aging copper. (On its own, you might have taken it outside and sprayed it or soaked the metal in an ammonia/vinegar/kosher salt solution.) 

If you have acetone (plain fingernail polish remover) or original formula Windex (with ammonia), you might want to wipe the copper first, to etch it a bit before applying the aging solution.

Or Time and the Elements. Those do the job, too. ;-)

I'm building the DC V-H600. Yours looks so much like  a DC. What type of glue did you use to glue the house to the foundation? You did a great.... Neat job. I've been afraid to glue it yet...(don't know why) after seeing yours,an where you were at when you glued it,I now need to do it.       Thanks for the Inspiration........