MerrimackBar.jpg

Debsrand56

I am finishing the third floor room in the Merrimack as a rec room.  It’s the kind of room that would normally be in the basement except, um, the Merrimack doesn’t have a basement.   I wanted a bar, because apparently my imaginary homeowners are lushes.  :)  There is a liquor compartment in the desk in the den, there is a drinks tray on the credenza in the foyer, but we also needed a bar in the rec room.   The 50’s/60’s were a different time. :cocktail:  Anyway, I started with the One-Inch Minis retro bar, but I wanted it done in tufted red leather.  The “leather” I used is two-way stretch faux leather.  It has a nice fine grain, is fairly thin and quite easy to work with.  It comes in other colors, and I highly recommend it for miniature work. I put a layer of batting between it and some card stock with my pattern printed on, then used tiny stitches to do the tufting.  I was going to use microbeads for the nail heads, but decided they would stick out too far, so I used Kris’s button tutorial.  I painted some paper with gold craft paint, then, when it was completely dry, punched out tiny dots using an all-over-the-page craft punch that has dots as part of the pattern.  The dots were then shaped using a tiny 1 mm ball stylus meant for nail art.  I got a little tired of using toothpicks for legs, so these legs are the tips of some Japanese chopsticks I got at the dollar store.  It’s not perfect, and I know the nail heads are a bit large for the scale, but I am happy with it.  On the top is a Bols Ballerina bottle (made from the tip of a ballpoint pen, a seed bead, the top of a half-scale liquor bottle, some fine wire, a microbead and tissue paper), as well as some beer steins my imaginary occupants picked up while on their travels in Germany (actually pewter minis I painted).

• Like 5

From the album:

Half Scale Merrimack

· 117 images
  • 117 images
  • 0 comments
  • 403 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

" I wanted a bar, because apparently my imaginary homeowners are lushes."

:rofl:

So perfectly retro! Groovy even. :D . That Bols Ballerina bottle is fabulous and again your painting of metal minis is spot on, love the steins. :beer:

The bar looks perfect, really nice effect. I have been looking for nice leather for minis to try some experiments, thanks for the recomendation I will check those out. Also great tutorial, I hadn't thought of using papper for buttons they look really neat!

• Like 1