© brae oktober

Circle library, stained

otterine

I've stained the pieces and reassembled in dry fit.  The dumbwaiter and its cabinet have a first coat of stain but aren't finished.  The walls have been primed with grey gesso, which is in the same color range of the wallpaper I've chosen.

I had planned to stain the library Minwax Natural after my test sample seemed to bring out the grain while leaving the color minimally changed.  Well, in a large area, that didn't really work so well.  It turned rather orange, like raw salmon cutlet orange.

I knew it was going to bother me, so I opted for a second coat of stain, this time using Minwax Driftwood.  The green in Driftwood balanced the red in Natural, and the end result is darker but a better color overall.  It actually looks like it was made from reclaimed wood, which makes a lot of sense for an old mill.  :D A happy accident.

Copyright

© brae oktober
  • Like 4

From the album:

Watson Mill

· 84 images
  • 84 images
  • 0 comments
  • 369 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

I like the drift wood too. I also really like what the stain is doing to the tiny turnings on the dumb waiter.. they look a lovely shade of aged grey. :D

One thing that has become noticeable with the stain is the vertical grain on the outer & inner circle as opposed to the horizontal grain on the rest of the library.. are you going to change that when you glue it, or are you going to leave it that way for visual interest?

Thank you!  :D

If you notice, the grain of the circle backing also runs vertically.  That was my intention all along, to have visual interest and movement between the two parts.  Although, once all the stuff is on the shelves, the horizontal grain will be less noticeable overall.

9 hours ago, otterine said:

Thank you!  :D

If you notice, the grain of the circle backing also runs vertically.  That was my intention all along, to have visual interest and movement between the two parts.  Although, once all the stuff is on the shelves, the horizontal grain will be less noticeable overall.

Ahh.. yes, I didn't notice at first, but now I do.. I didn't know if it was intentional or another happy accident. :) It's nice that the stain is emphasizing it so well. It just adds that little bit extra to a wonderful piece.