Roof.jpg

Debsrand56

The roof tiles are made from corrugated cardboard; the floor tiles are egg carton.  Both have been sealed (the roof with clear mat Krylon; the floor with mat polyurethane).  The roof was definitely the most tedious part of the process. 

• Like 3

From the album:

Mom's Front Porch (Half Scale)

· 7 images
  • 7 images
  • 0 comments
  • 28 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

I think this may be what I need to do for the Casa. I've been waffling on what kind of roof to go with and how to do it but I really do think this will be the easiest way. What made it tedious? Just all the steps?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, SewMini said:

What made it tedious? Just all the steps?

Removing the outer layers from the cardboard to get the corrugations as clean as possible, and cutting and gluing the individual tiles.  The cutting and gluing was so tedious I could only work on it for an hour at a time.  :)  For some reason, it felt harder even than applying individual shingles.  But I just kept plugging away until it was done, and I was quite happy with how it turned out.

For the room box I did, I soaked the cardboard for about 3-5 minutes in the bathtub, in about an inch of water. The glue released and separated the flat from the wavy layer. I just let them dry outside once it was separated.

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

I think this may be what I need to do for the Casa. I've been waffling on what kind of roof to go with and how to do it but I really do think this will be the easiest way. What made it tedious? Just all the steps?

4 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Removing the outer layers from the cardboard to get the corrugations as clean as possible, and cutting and gluing the individual tiles.  The cutting and gluing was so tedious I could only work on it for an hour at a time.  :)  For some reason, it felt harder even than applying individual shingles.  But I just kept plugging away until it was done, and I was quite happy with how it turned out.

• Like 1