© brae oktober

I've got the shakes again

otterine

It apparently takes six years to forget what a right proper pain it is to wood shake an entire house.  :glare: 

It's a lovely finish though, and very forgiving especially on an old mill.  I will be using light wood shakes from an old defunct kit that I can stain to look weathered.  True to scale shingles won't look right proportionally considering the mill structure is small.  The 1/2" by 3/4" measurements used for a previous house seemed like they would work for the mill as well.

I did a rough calculation and will need approximately 1,650 shakes.  After counting the bag, I discovered I have only 1,617 shakes.  :doh: No margin for error.  But, if need be, I will use other shakes for the small back wall.  Houseworks makes nice light wood shakes that will work well enough to finish out the set.  I will start here, though.

Cut, cut, cut.  Once this bear of a task is done, I'll stain the shingles before application.  I'll also have to finish the windows and door so I can get those installed prior to shingling.

Copyright

© brae oktober

From the album:

Watson Mill

· 84 images
  • 84 images
  • 0 comments
  • 369 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

I remember dipping thousands of shakes in grey stain for my parents house, and hanging them up to dry, I can just see you drying all those little shakes!  It is going to be beautiful when you get it done!