BeaconHill-parlour-wip3.jpg

wormwoodz

This room is a pain to photograph, poor natural light and not a lot of space availiable to move the house around at the moment... the light fixtures don't help much in this case but at least they are working lol. I'll try to get some decent shots when I move on to the hallway... so many components to glue and paint and so little time ;__; 

For the panels I tried to go for a color that would look nice with any color furniture, both walnut and mahogany constrast nicely with the walls. Second Empire houses often played with constrast; for this house I'm going with light french inspired ceilings paired with light floors, and darker colors on walls. I wasn't very fond of the interior window trims for the bay windows, they looked a bit 'chunky' and odd so I tried something diferent. You can see all that light coming from the doorway because I haven't attached the front tower wall... yet.... there's a lot of work to do there. I'm testing the lenght of the chain on the chandelier, not sure if this is too short... I should probably try a table under it. All my light fixtures are Heidi Ott, they look really nice and realistic, probably the best I found in this price range but most of my wiring and strips are houseworks. The plugs have diferent sizes here in EU, some brands aren't very reliable stocking basic wiring supplies and too often incompatible with other suppliers :/  

Now I'm thinking if I should wallpapper the second floor already or wait until I glue the front wall... I have to paint a lot of components for the ceilling in the hallway, would be nice to have diferent areas to work in between. 

• Like 7

From the album:

~ Beacon Hill ~

· 16 images
  • 16 images
  • 0 comments
  • 175 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 6s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/33
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 80

Recommended Comments

I cannot tell you how much I love this, I was lost in time looking at the photos of your paneled room, EXCELLENT!  It reminds me of probably my all time favorite build, Jeremy's paneled room in his Scratch built Tudor . 

• Like 1

Thank you all for such kind words :) 

14 hours ago, Debora59 said:

I cannot tell you how much I love this, I was lost in time looking at the photos of your paneled room, EXCELLENT!  It reminds me of probably my all time favorite build, Jeremy's paneled room in his Scratch built Tudor . 

Thank you! Oh that house is gorgeous, I love scratch built houses, and his base structure looks pretty superb! I wish I could have invested in better quality wood for the pannels, but for low budget I think they turned out decent. They're quite easy to remove as well, so maintenance should be easy to do. Sadly one of the walls from the base kit warped slightly during summer, the pannels help hide it from this side but I hope it won't be too noticeable on the corridor.

On 01/10/2017, 15:05:34, madhatter said:

Looking amazing, I really need to work on mine. It has been sitting in my basement for too long.

Jenn

Thank you! This house sure takes a lot of work, take your time with it and have fun. I also don't have much time to work on it latelly, but small steps go a long way :)

10 hours ago, Normiu said:

You are making a superb job with this house. May I ask, did you build the ceiling as well, and how you did it?

Thank you! For the ceiling I've used plaster: I smoothed the wood surface with spackle mix, sanded it, then glued the cast components. The gaps between them were filled with plaster to make them look seamless, and everything was finished with white acrylic paint.

• Like 1
On 07/10/2017, 22:16:38, Normiu said:

Love the moldings! You are inspiring me to build a Victorian one.

Victorian dollhouses are timeless, a bit of a cliché but always so charming :)

7 hours ago, minicosmo said:

So beautifully done! It is a masterpiece in the making. Can't wait to see the progress!:cheer:

Thank you! Progress has been slow latelly, lots of other work in my hands at the moment, but hopefully it will get done :)

OMG!  This looks like a real-sized house!  Amazing!  You have way more patience than I do.  I don't think I could ever make a dollhouse that didn't look distressed because so much of my Beacon Hill broke when I was taking out of frames or sanding.  I wouldn't have any hair left! LOL!  Very well done, though!

• Like 1
On 03/11/2017, 20:51:44, my minnie me said:

OMG!  This looks like a real-sized house!  Amazing!  You have way more patience than I do.  I don't think I could ever make a dollhouse that didn't look distressed because so much of my Beacon Hill broke when I was taking out of frames or sanding.  I wouldn't have any hair left! LOL!  Very well done, though!

Sorry for the late reply, only saw your comment now. Aww thanks, yes I tend to have a lot of patience and get "in the zone" when working, but sometimes I also have my hair pulling moments lol. Sorry to heat that, it happens to everyone, I also occasionaly break components I'm working on, I try to take a deep breath and fix it so no way it's flawless work :)