Mini lathe

417 images in Misc minis

Mini lathe

In some fun news, friends surprised me with a miniature lathe for my birthday!  They even machined new tools since they didn't feel the included ones were good enough.

Of course, I am super excited but have no idea what I am doing.  Luckily, the gift comes with lessons from the very friends who gave me this marvelous new tool.  This will help greatly in my pursuit of The Scale Cabinetmaker projects, and I feel positively spoiled rotten!  :D

Copyright

© brae oktober

1 person likes this
From the album

Misc minis

• 417 images
  • 1271 comments

Photo Information

10 Comments

OMG!! so excited for you!! my husband just purchased a used mini lathe for me as a belated birthday present!!  and I have no idea how to use it yet, but I have started watching tons of youtube videos!!  I would love to see some of your progress and if you have any tidbits from your friends to pass along!  good luck!

Share this comment

I have a mini dremel moto lathe and love it, it came with small tools and a faceplate.  Tiny bowls are fun to make, I made some for my nieces.  You will love it once you get going, it is nice to be able to make parts for furniture instead of trying to find the right spindles and making do with what is available.  I like people that give me tools!  One of the reasons I have so many tools is that my younger brother always gets me tools for Christmas!

Share this comment

sounds like you are going to have fun experimenting and creating more new things.  So excited for you.

Share this comment

I did get my lessons, and it was very straightforward.  :)  Now, I just have to practice, practice, practice.

Share this comment

On 6/3/2018, 8:17:46, Neverfinished2005 said:

Hi Brae, did you get lessons from Elga?

Tamra (from Petitpointers)

Hi, Tamra - no, it was a local friend.  Of course, it was only a couple of hours and most of it is long forgotten.  I am sure there are youtube videos in my future. :D 

Share this comment

What is the maximum diameter that your drill chuck expands to?  It took me several years to "bond" with a lathe, but once I committed to my first 100 hours and kept track of my time... (I wonder which of my friends gave me this idea??? ) I was able to start turning... and each hour of practice skills begin to develop.  I imagine that the drill chuck has a maximum diameter.   If I may share a tip... to eliminate the guesswork of what dowel rods are not warped for miniature turning, I roll them on the floor and look and listen for "wobble".  If I can assist with some turning help and am in the area ... let me know.  Summer is easier for me; as work isn't as intense during the summer months.

Share this comment

On 6/5/2018, 9:00:21, Neverfinished2005 said:

What is the maximum diameter that your drill chuck expands to?  It took me several years to "bond" with a lathe, but once I committed to my first 100 hours and kept track of my time... (I wonder which of my friends gave me this idea??? ) I was able to start turning... and each hour of practice skills begin to develop.  I imagine that the drill chuck has a maximum diameter.   If I may share a tip... to eliminate the guesswork of what dowel rods are not warped for miniature turning, I roll them on the floor and look and listen for "wobble".  If I can assist with some turning help and am in the area ... let me know.  Summer is easier for me; as work isn't as intense during the summer months.

:D Time tracking, what an idea!  I'm not sure of the diameter, but it is small.  I think there's a piece I can get that will hold larger pieces of wood.  I will definitely need more instruction and appreciate any tips and tricks offered.

Share this comment