Credit Katherine Bennett

chairs in 3 sizes

KathieB

Three chairs were auditioned for Marie Laveau's house. All claim to be 1:12 scale. See how they differ in size! The bench to the left was not used. The one in back is what Marie Laveau is sitting on in her bedroom, and the Chrysnbon chair with the caned seat is in the other room beside the drop leaf table. If the pieces are not too near one another, variations in size can still work.

Credit

Katherine Bennett
  • Like 1

From the album:

Adams: Creole Cottage

· 10 images
  • 10 images
  • 0 comments
  • 21 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. SP310
  • Focal Length 8 mm
  • Exposure Time 10/300
  • f Aperture f/2.8
  • ISO Speed 200

Recommended Comments

I suspect that chairs in real life are just as varied.   I know my dining room chairs are lower then an old chair I refurnished with claw feet, it is my favorite spinning chair.  In the living room there is an obvious difference between the two recliners and the double recliner, and the glider is at an even different seat height.   I know my house is an extreme case sometimes but when we were finishing the dining room and talking about what to do above the wainscoting I noticed for the first time that the doors are all at different heights, there are an excess of doors in the dining room, 5 single doors and two french doors.  We decided it would be better to bring attention away from the differing heights.  

One of the problems I have had in trying to draft parts for miniature furniture is that there are no standard sizes in my life.   I have two rocking chairs and they are vastly different, in back height, seat height, arm length , and rocker length.  I have seen many sites that make a chair to fit a person, and several of the chairs I have are very old, so that may be why they are all so different.  My best bet seems to be to buy some things and decide on what fits and then craft what I want.

• Like 1

Real furniture comes in so many sizes and scales. Scaled down for apartments and other small places. Bigger to huge for large rooms. Antiques are generally on the small side, as people were smaller back in the day. That people are bigger can be attested by the proliferation of extra wide seating in doctors' offices, airports and other public places. :D