T&G done

Shareb

So...it's been a few days working on tongue and groove for my gypsy caravan.  I had 1.5mm bass wood which I used for the sides and it worked beautifully.  However I then ran out of that!  Unfortunately here in NZ there aren't many craft shops around that stock that type of thing.  I drove 45mins to get to a hobby shop that does stock bass wood, but they only had 1mm or 3mm +.  So I decided to get the 1mm - easier to work with than the 2mm I had at home.  They also had .5mm mahogany strips which I bought a few of - thinking it could be trim or similar as the furniture for the inside is all mahogany.  So, came home and spent a whole afternoon making up patterns for the two ends, cutting the wood to shape, measuring the lines and grooving them as I had done with the others, using an embossing tool.  I primed the first small pieces which were the bottom side strips.  Then found when I came to sand them that the grooves had completely disappeared.  So the 1mm tongue and groove was useless and went into the rubbish.  I had to start again with 2mm.  The T&G was so much better in the 2mm, but the cutting was doubly hard as the 1.5mm!  Talk about a sore hand, wrist, fingers, arms - blisters!  Still....the end is worth it!  it's all glued on now and I just need to tidy up the raw edges.

• Like 2

From the album:

McQueenie Gypsy Caravan

· 147 images
  • 147 images
  • 0 comments
  • 251 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

I just saw this pic first and read the process for the finished look and I wasn’t quite understanding.  So I went and looked through all the pics and now I see the ordeal you had to go through(the unpainted pieces helped me understand).  Outstanding job!  I had to do some embossing for one of my projects and I did not like it so I know the pain you speak of. 

• Like 1

It's fun watching your progress, thanks for all of the pictures. I've never seen one of these put together before, and I'm sure it will be helpful to anyone else building one. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, KathieB said:

I admire your thoughtful persistence! The wagon is progressing beautifully.

Thanks Kathie!  Hubby helped me understand the undercarriage last night because I was freaking out that after adding the T&G the chicken coops hang down lower than the base of the wagon.  As I have poured over other pics of this wagon completed I couldn't figure out what I'd missed!  Now that we see how the undercarriage works, a piece of that backs the coops.  Whew! 

4 hours ago, NellBell said:

It was worth the effort . I think it is a very special detail and it looks great.

Thank you!  Yes - after looking at all the wagons done, I much prefer those with the T&G which are more authentic, than those without.  So I knew I wanted to add it - and I do think it was right to build the wagon before adding the T&G.  It should be pretty easy to hide the rough edges.

3 hours ago, Keifer said:

I just saw this pic first and read the process for the finished look and I wasn’t quite understanding.  So I went and looked through all the pics and now I see the ordeal you had to go through(the unpainted pieces helped me understand).  Outstanding job!  I had to do some embossing for one of my projects and I did not like it so I know the pain you speak of. 

Yep - all a learning curve!  I think I'd better get a stash of 1.5mm (1/24) basswood in - just in case!  It was so much easier to work with.  I did buy a new Fiskars toolset which has a carving blade in it which helped but I only bought it in time to help with the last piece!  Glad you could see what I was doing with the pics - that was my hope!

3 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

It's fun watching your progress, thanks for all of the pictures. I've never seen one of these put together before, and I'm sure it will be helpful to anyone else building one. 

I'm certainly hoping it can help others in future.  Certainly I figure things easier by looking at pictures - but it's good to be able to see and understand peoples failures as much as their successes!