Chantily-kitchen-wip2.jpg

wormwoodz

I'm not sure what to do with the floor, I've tried printing some victorian tiles I liked, I wanted to cut them in squares to imitate a tiled floor. But I'm not very happy with the look...the papper is very glossy and looks a bit off with the rest of my decor. It's a shame because the pattern is really pretty.

• Like 2

From the album:

~ Chantilly ~

· 9 images
  • 9 images
  • 0 comments
  • 68 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 6s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/33
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 50

Recommended Comments

Hmmm I love the tile design and I love the wall paper but I don't love them together. I feel like they are competing so maybe something less busy for the tiles?

When I made my kitchen tiles, I printed them on plain cardstock, adhered the sheet to artboard then coated with a matte mod podge. It gave it just enough gloss for what I was going for. Perhaps doing something like that will get you something less glossy? I agree, it's definitely shiny.

• Like 1

It's a very pretty floor pattern.  I like a "highly-waxed" floor, myself, so I actually think it looks nice as is. I like Miranda's idea, or even just use the paper but give it a mat ModPodge finish, so not as glossy? 

• Like 1

It really depends on your vision.  Right now it looks like a beautifully maintained or even new vinyl floor.  If it were printed not so shiny it could become a beautiful linoleum floor.  Both of these type of floorings were very common in homes.

Just to let you know, I am hesitant to even offer an opinion on your flooring for this house, as I have seen your beautiful work on the Beacon Hill and know whatever you finally decide upon it will be beautiful and well done.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SewMini said:

Hmmm I love the tile design and I love the wall paper but I don't love them together. I feel like they are competing so maybe something less busy for the tiles?

When I made my kitchen tiles, I printed them on plain cardstock, adhered the sheet to artboard then coated with a matte mod podge. It gave it just enough gloss for what I was going for. Perhaps doing something like that will get you something less glossy? I agree, it's definitely shiny.

5 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

It's a very pretty floor pattern.  I like a "highly-waxed" floor, myself, so I actually think it looks nice as is. I like Miranda's idea, or even just use the paper but give it a mat ModPodge finish, so not as glossy? 

I've tried a satin finish but I think they looked too much like paper... the wallpaper I'm using on the walls has a satin finish as well (it's from World Model), so it looked like 'wallpapered' floor more than anything else. Maybe they will look better after cut, but I'm probably not gluing them until I try a few more options. Maybe I'm just not used to this glossy look... even thou glazed tiles are usualy very shiny. 

3 hours ago, thriftymini said:

It really depends on your vision.  Right now it looks like a beautifully maintained or even new vinyl floor.  If it were printed not so shiny it could become a beautiful linoleum floor.  Both of these type of floorings were very common in homes.

Just to let you know, I am hesitant to even offer an opinion on your flooring for this house, as I have seen your beautiful work on the Beacon Hill and know whatever you finally decide upon it will be beautiful and well done.

I always love to hear suggestions, specially when I'm running out of ideas :p 

I guess I don't have many options for tiles with a pattern aside from printed. In my other kitchens I did mosaic flooring, which is easier to achieve a realistic effect with a bit of texture on a solid color surface. I could do mosaic again for this kitchen but I guess I'd like to explore some other options as well. I will cut the tiles and leave them on for some time, maybe it will grow on me.

I think it's a really pretty room and by the time you get furniture in, the tiles won't feel quite so detailed.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Shareb said:

I think it's a really pretty room and by the time you get furniture in, the tiles won't feel quite so detailed.

This is actually a really good point. The shine will also probably be a bit less too just because of tge shadows from the furniture

• Like 2