Chantily-kitchen-wip3.jpg

wormwoodz

Here's a furniture test. This is why I'm not very fond of papper flooring, it always looks a bit odd in my builds... no texture, too shiny... I don't know what to do about the floor, so all advice is welcome!

I was thinking about doing a period decor in this kitchen, sadly I don't have a victorian stove that will fit this scale. I love cabinets but the layout of this room seams better suited for an old fashion kitchen.

• Like 4

From the album:

~ Chantilly ~

· 9 images
  • 9 images
  • 0 comments
  • 68 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 6s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/33
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 80

Recommended Comments

When you say "Victorian stove," what are you envisioning?  There are several different types of stoves out there that might be considered Victorian.  Do you have a picture of the kind of stove you have in mind?

• Like 1

I agree with on the older kitchen style, its a challenging fit with cabinets in the older homes.  I totally see what you mean with the floor in this pic, I didnt notice as much in the other pic.  

• Like 1

The pale yellow and blue compliment each other. It is a very charming room! I like the floor, it looks so clean. You can always cover it with a throw rug if it bothers you.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

When you say "Victorian stove," what are you envisioning?  There are several different types of stoves out there that might be considered Victorian.  Do you have a picture of the kind of stove you have in mind?

Good question, I think a full kitchen range would be a bit too much for this house, and I didn't plan to fit one in the wall. So probably one of the smaller style wood stoves, as long as it's not a potbelly, that will work with a cottage style decor. I guess something like the classic Chrysnbon kit would be perfect, but in half scale. I have a few porcelain and metal stoves in my collection, but none in that style that fits this scale... I've tried a couple of these old non standard scale collectibles but they were too tall. This old Tootsie Toy model was the only one that seamed to fit, but it's a modern stove.. still cute, but not exactly what I had in mind. I have ordered this kitchen sink from Mini Etchers, but the stove hunt is still on.

Chantily_kitchen_wip4.jpg

6 hours ago, Keifer said:

I agree with on the older kitchen style, its a challenging fit with cabinets in the older homes.  I totally see what you mean with the floor in this pic, I didnt notice as much in the other pic.  

Yes it's more noticeable at a lower angle, all that reflection throws me off a bit :/ 

4 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Well I love this. It is one of the nicest kitchens I've ever seen. I actually like the shine!!

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

The pale yellow and blue compliment each other. It is a very charming room! I like the floor, it looks so clean. You can always cover it with a throw rug if it bothers you.

56 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

Very cute. You could try taping off the skirting/walls and spraying with a matte clear spray.

Thank you, I guess I'm not used to the shine but it's true kitchens with glazed tiles reflect a lot more on the surface. The walls are missing the baseboards, it will look nicer after they're fully trimed and the tiles cut.

24 minutes ago, wormwoodz said:

I guess something like the classic Chrysnbon kit would be perfect

Well, shoot.  The link doesn't work for me. I'm hoping it's this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Dollhouse-Miniature-Cook-Stove-Chrysnbon/dp/B0083AAUV8

If so, then one possibility that might work is this Acme magnet (you'd probably want to remove the base with the cat):https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACME-Miniature-Wood-Burning-Stove-w-Orange-Kitty-Cat-REFRIGERATOR-MAGNET-NIP/312076938966?hash=item48a93c2ed6:g:7LcAAOSwZrhabkw7  They're not the world's greatest pictures, but I think you get the idea.  It's not quite as detailed as the Chrysnbon stove, but I do find these pieces work quite well in half scale.  Just a suggestion.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Well, shoot.  The link doesn't work for me. I'm hoping it's this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Dollhouse-Miniature-Cook-Stove-Chrysnbon/dp/B0083AAUV8

If so, then one possibility that might work is this Acme magnet (you'd probably want to remove the base with the cat):https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACME-Miniature-Wood-Burning-Stove-w-Orange-Kitty-Cat-REFRIGERATOR-MAGNET-NIP/312076938966?hash=item48a93c2ed6:g:7LcAAOSwZrhabkw7  They're not the world's greatest pictures, but I think you get the idea.  It's not quite as detailed as the Chrysnbon stove, but I do find these pieces work quite well in half scale.  Just a suggestion.

Yes exactly! That's a great sugestion, is this magnet in plastic? I'm not very fond of the cake and pot on top, it would be great if those were removable. I found some cheap vintage pencil sharpeners on ebay.uk, they didn't specify dimensions but estimating from the size of the pencil opening they seam to be around 2 and a half inches tall... I'm crossing my fingers. Do you know how tall this acme magnet is? 

18 minutes ago, wormwoodz said:

Yes exactly! That's a great sugestion, is this magnet in plastic?

It is in plastic.  I don't know how easily removable the items are, but I've definitely seen versions of the magnets with those items removed, so know that it can be done.  I don't know its exact size, but from this picture:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/523896939/vintage-acme-refrigerator-magnets?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lp.d2.v1&share_time=1513884963000 , it is roughly the size of the stove I have in my Merrimack kitchen, so I think it would be a good fit.  By pencil sharpener, did you mean this:  http://pencilsharpener.net/contents/en-us/p686_queen_stove_pencil_sharpener.html?  If so, that's the one I used in my Fairfield, and I think it turned out really well.  I was super happy with it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Debsrand56 said:

It is in plastic.  I don't know how easily removable the items are, but I've definitely seen versions of the magnets with those items removed, so know that it can be done.  I don't know it's exact size, but from this picture:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/523896939/vintage-acme-refrigerator-magnets?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lp.d2.v1&share_time=1513884963000 , it is roughly the size of the stove I have in my Merrimack kitchen, so I think it would be a good fit.  By pencil sharpener, did you mean this:  http://pencilsharpener.net/contents/en-us/p686_queen_stove_pencil_sharpener.html?  If so, that's the one I used in my Fairfield, and I think it turned out really well.  I was super happy with it.

Thanks for the tip, the magnet seams to have the right height so it's definitely worth considering. I've bought 2 sharpeners in auction, one of them is that exact model, the other is a Playme I think. I went back to check your gallery, I had no idea it was a pencil sharpener it looks fab! It could work if I place it against a wall where the pencil hole won't be visible. ;) Thanks!

• Like 1

I love the furniture!  LOVE the colour!  Did you print the floor?  I've found some gorgeous tiles to print at Etsy.com  You could print out and spray with Matte?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Shareb said:

I love the furniture!  LOVE the colour!  Did you print the floor?  I've found some gorgeous tiles to print at Etsy.com  You could print out and spray with Matte?

Yes this is printed on glossy "photo paper", I had it printed by a professional because my inkjet doesn't support paper so thick. I usually get better resolution in print if I open the file with photoshop, but it should at least be a large file. You can find many victorian patterns online for free, here's a good resource with several color options, with an image editing program you can repeat the pattern for the room size you need.

• Like 1

I used to have a real life stove like that, best stove and oven I've ever cooked with! Your painted furniture is lovely, and the whole room is so inviting! Love the stove, love the floor ... I wouldn't change a thing!

• Like 1

This is so amazingly beautiful and so period.    I love all the colors and how you are putting things together.  More photos please.

• Like 1