Chantilly-wip3.jpg

wormwoodz

It looks a bit wonky at the moment, some key parts haven't been glued yet. I'm having a serious dilema with the wiring strip, where can I hide that black chunk of plastic? The house has no foundation, I thought perhaps I could hide it under the stairs but I tested it now and it won't fit... if I place it in the attic it will be visible, what should I do? :hmm:

• Like 1

From the album:

~ Chantilly ~

· 9 images
  • 9 images
  • 0 comments
  • 68 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 6s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/33
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 64

Recommended Comments

Your inspiration houses have foundations, I'd build a foundation. The other alternative is to build and external chimney breast and hide it in there.. looks like you'd lose some windows with that option though :/

Option three.. include a landscaping board that has a geographical feature that could hide it, like a rock.. or use thick builders foam as the board and bury it.

3 hours ago, Samusa said:

Your inspiration houses have foundations, I'd build a foundation. The other alternative is to build and external chimney breast and hide it in there.. looks like you'd lose some windows with that option though :/

Option three.. include a landscaping board that has a geographical feature that could hide it, like a rock.. or use thick builders foam as the board and bury it.

I thought about adding a foundation, but I like the house as it is... my other two houses have a porch with stairs, this is diferent from what I'm used to. I also have a display cover already prepared for it, it's going to a miniature fair next fall, changing the house height at this point will be troublesome. Landscaping would be a nice idea, I'm thinking I could perhaps make a platform and add the cover on top of that, the wiring would be underneath the structure. I don't know if I will be able to finish the house and the landscape in time for the show, but it's something to consider.

I've also thought about adding a strip of tapewire under the house, problem is the plywood is so thin I think any brads or nails would stick through... I'm going to search a bit to see if I can find a smaller wiring strip, if not I'll probably have to come up with an alternative... an external 'box' would probably look a bit silly but might be a temporary solution for this issue.

I've put them in the attic and add a Trunk vignette in from of it . I really love old trunks in the attic I will put two or three together whatever it takes to hide it . I also did an attic where it actually fit inside the trunk this one was an LED battery that has a push button for all my lights

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, NellBell said:

I've put them in the attic and add a Trunk vignette in from of it . I really love old trunks in the attic I will put two or three together whatever it takes to hide it . I also did an attic where it actually fit inside the trunk this one was an LED battery that has a push button for all my lights

That's a good idea too, but the size will be more like a casket than a trunk, haha. I could maybe add a small switch outside to turn it on and off, the worst part will be hiding the wire that will connect to the transformer all the way down the house... I'm glad I haven't glued the back walls yet, I can add a grove behind them if necessary.

How about a little shed attached to the side of the house. The door to the shed could give you access to the panel or you could make the shed removable for better access.

Like this but enclosed and towards the back instead of the front.

Image result for dollhouse with shed addition

I think I saw that Otterine added a fake cellar entrance to her haunted heritage.. maybe something like that?

I vote with Samantha.  I think a little shed or lean-to is the way to go.  Although I truly love trunks in the attic, it would take a lot to hide the wiring strip.

• Like 1
On 26/03/2018, 00:01:11, Samusa said:

How about a little shed attached to the side of the house. The door to the shed could give you access to the panel or you could make the shed removable for better access.

Like this but enclosed and towards the back instead of the front.

Image result for dollhouse with shed addition

I think I saw that Otterine added a fake cellar entrance to her haunted heritage.. maybe something like that?

I like the idea, and that house is super cute! I am impressed with the creative ways people found to hide circuits. I guess for now I'll keep working on the interiors and see if I can add something later on. Thanks very much for the sugestions!

15 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I vote with Samantha.  I think a little shed or lean-to is the way to go.  Although I truly love trunks in the attic, it would take a lot to hide the wiring strip.

One problem I have with this scale is sometimes the electric components are too large to hide inside things... it would be so easy to hide it inside a 1:12 trunk, but all these ideas are making me feel inspired to try diferent things. I saw this small coop and thought something like that would look super cute with miniature animals around, or a small shed with gardening supplies. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

I saw this small coop and thought something like that would look super cute with miniature animals around

Yes!  Bunnies!  I'm not sure it would be big enough for the electrical though.  What you have to hide seems pretty large.   A small shed with gardening supplies would probably work better.

• Like 1

I'm looking at the picture again and now thinking half scale. The attic with the round cutout is there a plan for it ? I think I would cut it square and and a hinged lid . shingle or cover it like the rest of the roof and put my electrical in it.. On the A frame side in my Pierce I put a Battery pac behind a little scene two trunks and a very large open dragon book

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, NellBell said:

I'm looking at the picture again and now thinking half scale. The attic with the round cutout is there a plan for it ? I think I would cut it square and and a hinged lid . shingle or cover it like the rest of the roof and put my electrical in it.. On the A frame side in my Pierce I put a Battery pac behind a little scene two trunks and a very large open dragon book

That area is like a small storage room, I have boarded up the interior walls to look nice and there is a trapdoor in that area to access the rooftop, I am thinking about hinging it so it can open and close. I've tried hiding the electrical strip there, on the right side under the roof but it was still visible.. covering it up wouldn't be a bad idea, I've been thinking about doing a fake wall there perhaps. I will start shingling soon, I will leave that area for last just in case.