Chantilly-wip4.jpg

wormwoodz

I am pondering if I should modify the second floor to add a small bathroom (I've placed a board on the spot), thoughts? It would be a very tiny room, looking from here I'm afraid it will end up breaking the 'aesthetic' of the house, but on the other hand I'm not sure what to do with such a large room. Or should I simply do a period house with no bathroom? Add a bathing tub to the bedroom perhaps... I'm so used to seeing houses with one, but I can't say it's one of my favorite rooms..

• Like 1

From the album:

~ Chantilly ~

· 9 images
  • 9 images
  • 0 comments
  • 68 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 6s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/33
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 50

Recommended Comments

Buy a chamber pot and call it good........You could make an outhouse to hide the electrical situation you were pondering :eek:. I'm saying this halfway joking because the house is so elegant, but it could cute if it was landscaped????

My Willow is in the colonial era, and it is really nice not having to hire a plumbing contractor!

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Buy a chamber pot and call it good........You could make an outhouse to hide the electrical situation you were pondering :eek:. I'm saying this halfway joking because the house is so elegant, but it could cute if it was landscaped????

My Willow is in the colonial era, and it is really nice not having to hire a plumbing contractor!

Haha I had that thought as well, it would indeed be a good hiding spot. I'm trying to set this house between 1840-1880, flushing toilets were becoming popular but still into the early XX century some houses didn't have a bathroom. This house isn't very luxurious anyway, more like a cottage :) 

• Like 1

I like the idea of the outhouse, especially if you are going for the period 1840-1880.  In the Midwest United States, most houses built then would not have had flush toilets, unless they were in a large city.  As for room size, have you thought of putting a wall next to the staircase, so that there is an upper hall/landing, and a door into each upstairs room?  That way, the stairs don't end inside a room.  I know that's common in some dollhouses, but I've never been crazy about it.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

I like the idea of the outhouse, especially if you are going for the period 1840-1880.  In the Midwest United States, most houses built then would not have had flush toilets, unless they were in a large city.  As for room size, have you thought of putting a wall next to the staircase, so that there is an upper hall/landing, and a door into each upstairs room?  That way, the stairs don't end inside a room.  I know that's common in some dollhouses, but I've never been crazy about it.

Yes I imagine it took a while for plumbing to reach the countryside. Some houses had underground waste deposits that had to be pumped every now and then, I imagine an outhouse would be a better option to avoid some unpleasant overflow of waste water. I see what you mean, the problem is the corridor would be extremely narrow, it's a struggle to try to divide this space with that front window. I'm not fond of the stairs ending inside a room so large, hence why I'm not sure what to do with this area. I've seen some people use this as a bedroom, but the lack of 'privacy' feels a bit odd. The shape of the ceiling doesn't help, I want to do a cottage style wood ceiling and I feel like the wall would cut the 'flow' of the back wall, if that makes any sense. :ermm:

• Like 1

I understand the problem, I’m not crazy about the stairs into bedroom idea either but once it’s decorated I don’t think it will be the first thing you think about. Maybe some plants around the railing would give a privacy feeling. I actually like the bathroom partition. The more rooms, the more interesting a dollhouse is to view. 

Wow you’re really moving right along with this house! I love the Chantilly, always been on my wish list. 

I suppose it's too late to say anything, but, if this were mine, I would put the wall at the very edge of the window, to create a center hallway & a full room - no stairs *into* a bedroom.

I added a bathroom where you are thinking. It is wide enough to put the tub at the back. I haven't finished the house but I like the bathroom there.