rsz-soldering.jpg

We learned various way to solder. One was directly soldering the wire to the tape run, another was filling the grommets with the wire and solder. It was a great class taught by Carl Sahlberg of Creative reproductions to scale.

• Like 1

From the album:

Instructions & miscellania

· 37 images
  • 37 images
  • 0 comments
  • 25 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 6s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/30
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 200

Recommended Comments

oh man- this is the kinda class I need!  I always feel like I need about 3 hands!

So, explain the wire and grommet method a bit more....wrap the wire around the grommet, pound in, then solder them? 

My problem is learning to get the solder puddle relatively flat so it can be easily covered with wallpaper, etc.  

• Like 1

@jbnmini

This is his book.    Once the grommet is in place, you bend the wire from the light so it is 'U" shaped and stick in the grommet in the hole. Then, fill the grommet with solder. He uses an electronic soldering iron. I found one on Amazon that looks Identical and is cheaper :blush:. If you ever have a chance to take a class from him, I recommend it. He is an ex-industrial arts high school teacher, so he is use to idiots!!! (I'm the idiot) But he knows how to teach!!!! I think practicing on a board will help the welds get better. That was my first go and it is directly soldered into the tape. The grommet ones are flatter.

• Like 1