The witch's chamber

abloom

In my interpretation of the story, the cannibal witch is too primitive for a bedroom or a bed. I want the upper chamber, her room, to resemble a bird house, because I imagine her to shift between human form and the form of a crow, a bird that does devour the young of other birds. So I have a craft store nest for her, and I was planning to use some dyed black feathers I bought and a skull and bones from a plastic skeleton, to set the grisly scene. But it looks too fake, so I'll wait until I have real bones from a chicken and some natural feathers. There's just her little treasure chest and a stool from a circle of wood I cut so far.  I left the circle windows open like the hole in a birdhouse, and there's a ladder and trapdoor connecting her upper room to the rest of the house. 

• Like 1

From the album:

Hansel & Gretel Buttercup

· 27 images
  • 27 images
  • 0 comments
  • 107 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 5s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/30
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 320

Recommended Comments

I had to smile when I read " I was planning to use some dyed black feathers I bought and a skull and bones from a plastic skeleton, to set the grisly scene. But it looks too fake, so I'll wait until I have real bones from a chicken and some natural feathers."  A house made of edibles inhabited by a shape-shifting witch based on a fairy tale, but "it looks too fake". Isn't it wonderful that we can immerse ourselves in the story to the point that cookie walls and a chocolate roof make complete sense. Love it! :) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KathieB said:

... A house made of edibles inhabited by a shape-shifting witch based on a fairy tale, but "it looks too fake". Isn't it wonderful that we can immerse ourselves in the story to the point that cookie walls and a chocolate roof make complete sense. ...

Yes, I think Hansel & Gretel is like the Middle Ages version of a Stephen King novel; you have to suspend disbelief enough to let the weirdness and horror of it envelop you. And it plays on some of people's worst nightmares at the time, when there were long famines and starvation and almost certainly cases of child abandonment and even cannibalism. And fears of witches, and the terrifying idea of a mother, who's supposed to be nurturing and fiercely protective of her children, instead abandoning them, or worse...

Yeah, I'm bewitched by this story and I need real bones. :)