• 107 image comments

Photo Information

• Taken with Apple iPhone 5s
  • Focal Length 4.2 mm
  • Exposure Time 1/17
  • f Aperture f/2.2
  • ISO Speed 250

Recommended Comments

I love the witch's forward-leaning stance. It emphasizes her weak eyesight. And looking at her profile, it really looks as if she morphs into a bird at night. This is such a sweet and clever rendition of a favorite fairy tale. Thank you for sharing the journey with us. :) 

• Like 1

This story always scared the crap out of as a kid. My uncle gave us a Grimm's fairy tale book and I remember reading different stories and being irritated that they weren't like the Disney stories. I'm so glad that witch ended up in the oven. Hansel and Gretel look so sweet and well fed!

• Like 1

This is beautiful work. I have always wanted to do a Hansel and Gretel piece, I even have a cage I bought hoping to do it but I have just never been brave enough to start it. Your witch is wonderful and I love how you have used the little vintage dolls for the children. This has such a creepy grimms fairy tale look to it. Great work! 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, KathieB said:

I love the witch's forward-leaning stance. It emphasizes her weak eyesight. And looking at her profile, it really looks as if she morphs into a bird at night. This is such a sweet and clever rendition of a favorite fairy tale. Thank you for sharing the journey with us. :) 

Thank you for sharing it with me! I love that you see something of the bird I had in mind when I was putting together the witch. Her face shriveled as the paperclay dried, and her eyes squinted and sank, like she herself was leaning into the story. 

10 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

This story always scared the crap out of as a kid. My uncle gave us a Grimm's fairy tale book and I remember reading different stories and being irritated that they weren't like the Disney stories. I'm so glad that witch ended up in the oven. Hansel and Gretel look so sweet and well fed!

Lol, I haven't tried to stage the oven scene, so far anyway. Just leaving it to the imagination :O

12 hours ago, thriftymini said:

Oh my!  She is a very wicked witch indeed.

Yes, she is. But I also feel for her. Her fate is beyond horrific, and I wonder if her wickedness was a choice or simply her inescapable nature. 

6 hours ago, CreatureCrafter said:

This is beautiful work. I have always wanted to do a Hansel and Gretel piece, I even have a cage I bought hoping to do it but I have just never been brave enough to start it. Your witch is wonderful and I love how you have used the little vintage dolls for the children. This has such a creepy grimms fairy tale look to it. Great work! 

Thank you so much! Maybe if you start with the cage you have and gather or make some things to go with it, make a little scene, it will lure you into the project. It's an endlessly fascinating story, and I'd love to see your version. 

3 hours ago, abloom said:

It's an endlessly fascinating story

So true. My favourite was always little red riding hood. I like the dark fairy tales x

• Like 1