Disaster Averted

Dalesq

After gluing in the first floor burl veneer and allowing cure time, I painted it with a light coat of gloss finish. Then it bubbled and buckled! :cry:

I had to wait until it was completely dry because of the varnish. Once it was dry to the touch it felt like hard lumps in the wood. Gently burnishing it with my finger wasn’t working. So I tried a mini iron. https://www.amazon.com/Clover-Mini-Iron-II-Adapter/dp/B001CEAMH4 :ohyeah:

The photos on the left are the before pics. It’s hard to see, but the surface was covered with hard raised areas. The photos on the right are the after pics. The iron worked like a charm. I used the lowest setting and used a piece of parchment paper between the iron and the wood. I ironed the floor in small circles, moving around and returning to problem areas. And it worked! The floor is flat and undamaged! 

Copyright

© DAL Minis
  • Like 1

From the album:

Moonlight Retreat — 1:24 scale Lighthouse Reimagined

· 38 images
  • 38 images
  • 0 comments
  • 90 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

Thanks everyone! :)

I really really didn’t want to have to try to remove the burl. I love the look of it as a floor, especially for the inside of a tree. 

I'm happy to report that it’s still flat this AM.