© brae oktober

House on a Hill

otterine

A friend invited me to a Paint Nite event at a local restaurant.  From the link here, you can see the Halloween themed painting the artist and host Sarah Benkin would be teaching.  I had never been to one of these, but painting a haunted house and having a cocktail sounded like a lovely way to spend a school night. :D 

Of course, I brought three mini sized canvases instead of using the provided canvas.  The mini canvases were made using textured note cards glued to mat board with spray adhesive and then coated with white acrylic.  I taped the three mini canvases to a scrap of plywood to have something to use as an easel.

I attempted the smallest of the three canvases first, but I had a hard time making circular motions that small.  My moon was a messy, light blue oval, so I scrapped that and moved on to the medium one.  I skipped the cats in my painting and made the fence and grass more moonlit.  I thought bright white images would detract from the house in my small scale.  I had a lot of fun and could see myself packing mini canvases and attending more of these in the future.

Copyright

© brae oktober
  • Like 6

From the album:

Happy Halloween!

· 35 images
  • 35 images
  • 1 comment
  • 95 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

Great idea. I have a good friend who loves doing Paint Night and I love it two. I make the big painting but come home and will make a small one of the ones I like. Now I have a lot of big paintings I don’t need. Great idea to just take the small canvas that night. 

Your painting is adorable. 

On top of being good, that is a well compositioned painting.   It uses the rule of thirds quite well and the play between light and dark moves the eye around the whole painting letting the viewer notice all the details.  Well done!