apothecarysymbol2.jpg

Shareb

So, this is the wrought iron sign that hangs in front of the curtain on the back wall of the apothecary.  This is going to have to be about 20x25mm so pretty small.  My first thought for how to reproduce it, is to draw it out and then go over it with hot melt glue.  But I can see this being messy and not sure how well it'll work.  I could twist wire but what about the details like leaves etc?  Maybe solder blobs to look like leaves??  Gratefully looking for suggestions!!

From the album:

Outlander Apothecary

· 165 images
  • 165 images
  • 0 comments
  • 312 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

It's really quite small and there is a bit missing off the left hand bottom....it should be a swirl like the other side.  I am really happy to wait - it won't stop me from progressing....I'll message you!!

I messaged you Miranda but for some reason it's not showing up in my conversations.  Could you please let me know if you received it?  I have to run out now to take son for driving lesson but will be back later when I can double check size etc.  Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Not to rain on your parade but with that symbol being so small it might benefit from some simplification.  Maybe emphasize the medical symbol in the middle and lose a few swirls.   Just my 2 cents :cheezy: 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Keifer said:

Not to rain on your parade but with that symbol being so small it might benefit from some simplification.  Maybe emphasize the medical symbol in the middle and lose a few swirls.   Just my 2 cents :cheezy: 

You're probably right! :D  I'll see what Miranda can do! :bigwink:

If you have an offer from someone with a Curio cutter (just learned about those here the other day, amazing!!!) definitely take them up on it. Otherwise I probably would have tried using Gallery Glass Liquid Lead - which is a black dimensional outliner for painted stained glass projects. But my first choice would definitely be the cutter!! 

• Like 1

Just thought I would share my results with the Curio yesterday. I dumped the photo Rebecca posted into my design program and mirrored the side that had the missing curl. Then I did a trace on it to get the outline. I had to adjust the pattern quite a bit to remove elements that were too small and thicken areas that were too thin. IT also took a bit to come up with the right setting that would cut through the paper but not rip it (The curio tends to drag a bit when doing these tiny designs). Overall I think it came out really well!

I did a test with black paper just to make sure it looked ok. Since it took a few sheets of black to get that right, I switched to using green to continue. Once I got the base done, I started working out how to stack the cuts to get more texture. I ended up outlining just the medical symbol and then outlining just some of the leaves on the ivy pattern. I added some extra texture with a quilting pin. The final would be cut from black and then painted with ink to cover up all the white parts. 

43751457270_9a51f38aeb.jpg

44658357695_028fd1ed54.jpg

• Like 2

That is so fantastic!

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎28‎:‎05‎, Keifer said:

Look what Miranda did Keith!!!!!  :D 

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎1‎:‎26‎:‎58‎, Intrinsicat said:

If you have an offer from someone with a Curio cutter (just learned about those here the other day, amazing!!!) definitely take them up on it. Otherwise I probably would have tried using Gallery Glass Liquid Lead - which is a black dimensional outliner for painted stained glass projects. But my first choice would definitely be the cutter!! 

That would have been a really good idea!  I went through a phase years ago using all that stuff - I've probably still got some!

21 hours ago, NellBell said:

This is so cool I just received my Circuit I hope it can do things like this . 

OOoo....you'll have fun playing Nell!!!!