© brae oktober

Mane removed

otterine

In the time since I bought the horse, the plastic mane has lifted from the neck.  In all honesty, it could have been like this all along and I just didn't notice it.  It made it easier to wedge in some pliers to pry off the mane.

One thing I didn't like about the plastic mane from the beginning was that it was formed on the side away from the direction of the horse's gaze.  Removing it for a mohair mane means I can style the hair toward the front.

I cleaned up the spine with a utility blade and will fine tune by sanding.  The gap will need to be filled, though it might be a good way to add the mane more securely.  I'll think on that a bit.  I need to replace the putty I bought three years ago since I don't want to take the chance that it has gone bad.

Copyright

© brae oktober

From the album:

Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

· 130 images
  • 130 images
  • 0 comments
  • 266 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

Ooh, fun project! I recently bought a Lori doll horse with a view to doing something similar. I bought that brand mainly because it already had a tail and mane and it was cheap! $10 so if it all goes horribly wrong, no big deal. Now I get to watch what you do, before I start mine. :D Really looking forward to seeing how you approach this. 

I haven't worked with mohair. I have used Viscose for dolls. You can curl it my misting the viscose with distilled water and wrapping it around metal knitting needles. You can heat  and dry the curl by putting the needle in a low oven or use a hair straightener. Also, matching embroidery floss is easier to braid, and looks like the real thing.

Thanks for the viscose and embroidery floss tips.  I'll try a few different materials as samples before adding the final to the horse.

I'll be watching I have some spirit doll horses to work on in the future . I used the dolls for the donation dollhouses.