From the album:

Miscellaneous Half Scale

· 8 images
  • 8 images
  • 0 comments
  • 21 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

I stand in awe. One of my running complaints about men's suits is that the fabric is usually very bulky and thus out of scale. You have avoided the puffiness associated with woven fabrics and the puckering seams where stitched, especially where the sleeves meet the body. How do you manage that? Glue instead of sewing? One layer of cloth instead of two in the lapels? Whispery thin fabric that just looks like a heavier woolen fabric? Or is it just magic -- seeing some of your other creations, I'm tempted to think you have a secret stash of fairy dust to sprinkle around. :) 

And this is in 1:24 scale --- less room for error and even more awesome than if it were 1:12!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, KathieB said:

How do you manage that? Glue instead of sewing? One layer of cloth instead of two in the lapels? Whispery thin fabric that just looks like a heavier woolen fabric?

Thanks very much, Kathie! The fabric is actually a cotton print; it just looks like wool when photographed in half scale.  :)  I use Fray Check around my patterns before cutting them out, and then glue most of the seams.  If I tried sewing, it would look like I had taken a length of bulky yarn and done a huge running stitch! I did use Stitch Witchery on the hem, and I did have to use an overcast stitch to gather the tops of the leg-o-mutton sleeves, but it turns to the inside when the sleeves puff up, and then I can glue them on.  My home ec teachers would be appalled at the techniques I use :eek:, but they're what work in half scale.  Because it's a print, I did have to use two layers on the collar and lapels, and I now know why men's miniature clothing often looks so odd.  Lapels are hard in miniature!  The collar doesn't lie as nicely as I wish it would, but it's OK.  Flower thread for the trim, the belt is 2 mm ribbon, and the "buckle" is a bit of glue-on nail art. No fairy dust involved.  :giggle:

• Like 3