© brae oktober

Two screen materials

otterine

Trying out two materials for the screen door. The black steel is more durable but a little large for scale. The aluminum micro mesh is better for scale but damages easily. The damaged bits rather add to the realism, though. I will test these in dry fit with the building to make a final decision.

Copyright

© brae oktober
  • Like 1

From the album:

Ivy Hollow - Rural Free Delivery Post Office

· 130 images
  • 130 images
  • 0 comments
  • 266 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

I love seeing finished dollhouses as much as anyone, but posts like this are also very helpful. I want so badly to do a screened-in porch on my Creole (if I ever get to it!) but had no idea what to use for the screen. I think the black one would work perfectly. What product is it? For a screen door, however, I'm with you on the aluminum one.

25 minutes ago, Kells said:

I love seeing finished dollhouses as much as anyone, but posts like this are also very helpful. I want so badly to do a screened-in porch on my Creole (if I ever get to it!) but had no idea what to use for the screen. I think the black one would work perfectly. What product is it? For a screen door, however, I'm with you on the aluminum one.

Unfortunately, I don't know the source company as some scraps were sent to me by a fellow miniaturist. She called it black stainless steel screen.  It's very rigid - not all all flimsy like the screen material you find for windows. It might have an industrial or scientific usage.

4 minutes ago, Kells said:

I don't think this is the same product but it looks like it might work. For a screened-in porch that is. It's not fine enough for a screen door.

https://www.hubert.com/product/71961/3M-Grey-Metal-Polishing-Screen-Refills-For-Cool-Griddle-Cleaning-System---4L-x-5-12W

Years ago, I made some rolled up fencing using pieces of flat metal mesh called Hannah's Helper scour screen that I found in the cleaning aisle of Jewel.  I wonder if your linked product might be the same or similar. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=54112

The black screen shown here is finer than that but still stiff.