Foundation Vent

Kells

I know these should be concave rather than convex but I think they're near perfect. The right size and shape, and actual antique bronze. Silly, I know, but finding solutions like this makes me so happy. :D

• Like 3

From the album:

French Quarter

· 6 images
  • 6 images
  • 0 comments
  • 21 image comments

Photo Information

Recommended Comments

Good job! It's a great feeling to find just the right piece. :) From a distance, convex and concave look the same.  Perfect solution. 

• Like 1

Those are interesting, but are they round or oval? Can't really tell from the angles in the photo. Air vents are typically oval. I googled images for oval filigree jewelry findings.  You may find something closer to the original. And they are pierced, not solid. :) 

• Like 1

The angle of the photo does make it hard to tell but they are oval. I looked for jewelry findings but couldn't find anything with a 3-dimensional shape. Most were flat. Those that weren't had an open center, or a flat one to accommodate cabochons. If something better turns up before I mount these into the paperclay foundation, I'm definitely open to changing plans.

Kells, is the backside of these concave? if you wanted to removed the backing you could and mold it and then make some that are concave.  May not be worth the added work but merely a suggestion.  I think they look great as is and you could get away with it.  Especially if you gave it a little rub of a different color to give it depth in the deeper sections.

• Like 1

As these are set into the wall, you could push the finding into paperclay or whatever you have on hand, to create a stamp of it (like you are using a wax seal thingo and wax) neaten up the edge and put that into your wall.

• Like 1

I could see how pressing it into the paperclay could work. Trim off any that squished out of the edges, paint it a gray-black... I'm going to give that a try when I get to the foundations.

This has been slow-going. I am going cross-eyed painting all those danged windows and shutters THREE TIMES APIECE! Some moments I wish I'd just got some white Krylon spray paint and been done with them, haha.