New Day picture 1

Mini Man

This house is my dream getaway in Greece. If I ever run away from it all, this is where you will find me!

I tried to stay somewhat true to the design of the kit, while making it very Greek. The house has lots of spackle, and a little foam core and wood for the stairs, walls and patio. The ground floor patio is enclosed by low walls, and is a great place to rest and have some pink lemonade. On the chair by the door are an HBS catalog and some blue sunglasses (my only dollhouse shop splurge for this build.) The shutters and front door are made of wood and painted Mediterranean blue.

I made the upstairs patio floor in a “krokalia” style, by making small pebbles out of air dry clay, gluing them onto a pattern and painting different colors. The surrounding border of the floor is made from painted sand. I made the chairs on this patio from scrap wood. I made the lemon tree from landscaping moss, a stick, an old flowerpot and Sculpey. The patio doors that lead to the bedroom are actually tall louvered shutters.

The Bougainvillea was made from grapevine wire, a disassembled floral wreath and some landscaping moss. I painted the flowers a darker pink than they were originally, to more closely resemble the color of Bougainvillea.

The interior has one main room on the first floor. I made the fireplace from clay and spackle, the tile floor from woodsies squares, the loveseat from scrap wood and fabric, the table from coated black wire from a garden edging fence and scrap wood, and the kitchen unit is built from scrap wood and assorted bits and pieces of “stuff”. The wall cabinet is, of course, from a Michael’s hutch. It holds some Chrysnbon dishes and a treasured turquoise colored dish set from England which goes with the tea set on the table. The chairs I built from Chrysnbon kits.

Upstairs is the bedroom. I made the bed from the same wire garden edge fence as the table downstairs, along with some dowels and beads. There is a rose painted pitcher and bowl on the bedside table, and of course, another HBS catalog! I always have to have pets with me, no matter where I am, so there is a kitty asleep on the bed. From the bedroom, there is one step to the double doors that lead to the patio.

Most of the accessories in the house found their way to me serendipitously within the past two weeks. It was amazing the amount of mini stuff that I have found at yard sales and on Craigslist in recent weeks, and each find had at least a few pieces that were perfect for this house. It was all just meant to be, I guess.

Thanks to you all at Greenleaf for this contest. It has been so much fun!

New Day

• Like 1

From the category:

2009 Spring Fling Contest

· 177 images
  • 177 images
  • 124 image comments

Recommended Comments