Porthole (window)

mesp2k

I want to use this as window on the side of the shack.

I turned the porthole ring on a wood lathe then glued some tiny strips of wood & added drops of glue for faux hardware & bolts.

I painted it shades of aqua then added some rubbed on gold power (found in the polymer clay section of your favorite craft store)

Still needs glazing - would like a curved (convex) glass - I think they sell these for clocks & watches. Any ideas on the glass would be welcomed & appreciated.

From the album:

1/12 Fishing Shack

· 4 images
  • 4 images
  • 0 comments
  • 14 image comments

Recommended Comments

You can often find plastic domed packaging on air fresheners and the like that might do the trick but not as good as glass itself. This is an amazing piece - creative and realistic.

You can often find plastic domed packaging on air fresheners and the like that might do the trick but not as good as glass itself. This is an amazing piece - creative and realistic.

Thanks Jo, great idea! I googled clock watch & glass & found a $3.50 2" convex glass - didn't check the shipping tho - that's where they git yu!

I have some glue (can't remember the name) I was told if yu thin it out & stir it, you can apply it to acrylic or glass, & it dries clear but kinda wavy & with some tiny bubbles - good for antique looking windows or stained glass.

For stained glass - if the glue doesn't wash off a transparent tint - you could seal the color under the glue & not worry about if wearing off. And I think you would get beautiful results.

:blahblah1:

Mike

what about the little plastic holders that you find in a gumball type machine that has toy rings and that? Would that stick out to far??

what about the little plastic holders that you find in a gumball type machine that has toy rings and that? Would that stick out to far??

Thanks, Alpangle - another great idea!

I would have to cut it closer to one end (not centered) & that would make it stick out less, but would also create a smaller diameter which I think would be too small for the porthole?

Thanks,

Mike

@mesp2k this turned out amazing! The glue idea is inspired.. stealing that. :D

Did you ever find cabochon glass or something to simulate it?

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

Did you ever find cabochon glass or something to simulate it?

I cut it from a plastic ball - I made it a bit larger than the porthole to hide the rough edges inside of the shack.

I spray painted it black then put a high gloss clear coat to simulate glass & match the front window -

- so I don't know why I was looking for something clear? :dunce: