Pocket door - inner workings with door closed, lever inside

otterine

Continuing work on the pocket door between the foyer and the kitchen, following KathieB's tutorial. I decided to use 1/4in thick wood for the inner connectors and pocket door mechanism instead of foam core board, using wood glue to create an especially strong bond. The reason for this is that the wall will serve as a structural wall and I want to cut down on the amount of give and warping it might have. Unlike Kathie's tab and slot house example, this wall just sits inside the house and will be glued at contact points only...so I need a straight, strong wall.

I asked Kathie what she would have done differently, and she said she wished she had built in a way to open and close the door from the outside, like a string. As it is, she has to reach in to show that it works, and that requires the removal of furniture. That got me thinking! :D How about a lever that comes out of an opening in the back of the pocket door wall. You would push the door closed and pull it open like a pop-up book. The lever itself could be hinged to lay flat when the door is open.

Even though there are tiny hinges on the market, I opted for a leather hinge instead. It's flexible and won't be damaged with some turning and bending the way a tiny metal hinge might be over time. I used brass brads for additional security after gluing the leather in place. To finish the lever, I added a sewing pin glued into the end.

Here are the inner workings with the door closed.

• Like 1

From the album:

The Haunted Heritage

· 854 images
  • 854 images
  • 0 comments
  • 2,838 image comments

Recommended Comments