Ground floor

dooder85

The author of the book i'm working out of seemed to think it practical to have a 24 x 18" dining room on the main floor with the salon upstairs. This seem silly to me and I don't have a table nearly grand enough to justify a room of those proportions. My solution was to visually divide the main floor into a dining room / salon without impeding access to either room. I don't know if this will do the trick or not. I like it better than the massive room but it doesn't really fit with the style of house either.

With this arrangement the entry hall is to the right, and you would access the front room via french doors, but I don't know where to put the fireplace (the chimney was my favourite part of this house plan to be perfectly honest). The original plan was the massive room, with a fireplace dead centre on the left wall.

From the album:

Scratch build 2 - Georgian Townhouse

· 10 images
  • 10 images
  • 0 comments
  • 7 image comments

Recommended Comments

Perhaps you could still put the chimney where it was intended if you make a different kind of divider, one that doesn't traverse the ceiling all the way across. In one house, a New Orleans shotgun, we had just such a "divider" that was merely a floor-to-ceiling column out just a few inches from the wall. It effectively slowed one's eye. In our case, the living area was in front with the dining area behind as the kitchen (blocked by a partial and half wall) was behind that. I'm thinking one of the plastic columns from a wedding cake.

hmm that's a mighty fine idea, the columns may work better with the style as well. The table here was just put in to show the size of the room, i think the dining room would definitely go in the back (mostly because the dining room tends to sprawl while a salon is more open, let's one see everything) I was also thinking I could do two chimneys, and put a fireplace on the back wall, and then one on the second floor on the left exterior wall bringing the chimney back into play.

I would also like to fit doors on the back so it appears there are more rooms that you can't see, would you build that back wall up with foamcore to seat the "door to nowhere"?

You could simply put extra strip wood under door frame and just glue it on the back wall without having to thicken the wall (I am not a big fan of foamcore except for mock-ups).

--Or you could cut an opening for the door, put it in place and seal it closed on the back of the house. That way, if you ever wanted to put a narrow addition in back and open the door to give a peek into basically a room that nearly doesn't exist. I have seen this done and can be very effective.